Do I need to be concerned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteRhyno

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hey all,

I am looking at moving to a 3 vessel system from BIAB, and have found the following for sale.

Do I need to be concerned about those welds? Don't exactly look sanitary too me.

Definitely not sanitary welds, but it's all hot-side, yes?
The one place I'd be concerned is if the boil kettle drain valve looks similar - then you could have problems if you're draining cooled wort through a nasty bulkhead...

Cheers!

Cheers for the replies.

Here are a few more pics of the setup. Nice rig, just those welds really concern me.

Will they give me issues, and would they be major or minor? And how could they be "Cleaned up?"

Cheers for your help here guys

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 61
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 59
Damn. All that work and they didnt backflush the welds.

"Most" of it could be cleaned up with electrical acid passivation. If you know of a welding shop that does a lot of stainless, and has the tool for weld passivation, you might ask what they would charge to clean them up. That will remove 80 to 90% of the discoloration and stop some of it from rusting over time. It will not fill in the areas that are capable of harboring bacteria. Some areas could be fused/reflowed by a competent tig welder, but it wont be perfect.

If it's an extremely good price it might be worth it. But be OCD with cleaning and sanitizing.

There are more sins there than simply failing to back-purge.
Those sputtered and splattered welds look pretty sad, pretty much the opposite of sanitary.
I think a hard pass is the right call...

Cheers!

Back