Do I need to add nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemanlan

Reaction score
Could anybody help me with my Honey Beer recipe? I have 1.116 OG beer fermenting consisting of fermentables from 30% Honey, 40% Grain, and 30% Extract. I pitched with a high very high number of Pacman yeast from a cake based off of the Mr. Malty calculator. I know in meads you need to provide additional nutrients because of the low nutritional content of honey beyond being a sugar. Also it is suggested that you add nutrients to high gravity beers to facilitate healthy fermentation. That being said I've had vigorous fermentation from Day 1. No lag time as I pitched a high number from a fresh cake. Fermentation has slowed down very little over the course of a day or two, however that may be due to the drop in fermentation temps. Do I need to add nutrients in this case or do you think the grain sources along with high pitch rate will be enough additional nutrients to sustain the fermentation?

Type: Partial Mash
Mash temp: 145*F
Sparge temp: 160*F
Total Volume: 5 Gallons US
Yeast: Pacman from a cake
Estimated OG from Beer Calculus = 1.108 - 1.114
Estimated %Alch/Vol = 10.9%
Actual OG = 1.116
Estimated FG = 1.024 - 1.029
1* Fermentation: 2.5 weeks
2* Fermentation: 2 weeks
Age in bulk

6 Lbs Clover Honey
3.5 Lb 2-row malt
1 Lb Vienna malt
2 Lbs Extra Light DME
1 Lb Corn Sugar
0.8 Lb Brewvint Maltose/Dextrose

0.5 oz Brewers Gold Pellets @ t = 60min
0.5 oz Brewers Gold Pellets @ t = 5 min

I put this in my 5 gal glass Carboy and less than 12 hours later the vigorous fermentation blew off my airlock! Luckily I caught it in the act. My fix is a blow-off tube into a water container. Watching this thing ferment is the most relaxing and mesmerizing thing I've ever seen.

Im looking for thoughts and advise on this matter.

Back