Do I need head space for a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gfunk

Reaction score
About to keg for the first time in about twenty minutes. It's an American ipa from more beer.com. I'm going to carb using set and forget method. My question is do I need to leave some head space? Can you feel a keg to much? Once I get this question answered I'm ready to go.

You are kegging finished beer? Too full is when it runs over. Don't forget to purge the O2.

Find the CO2 input hole on the inside of the keg and be just below that.

I would think you need some head space. I only say this because once I overfilled the keg and I had a hard time carbonating it. Not sure of the physics.

B

As long as you're under the gas "IN" post, you're fine! I think my kegs hold nearly 5.5 gallons to the "in" post. You just don't want to submerge the gas diptube, as the beer can flow back through it through the regulator if it's submerged.

As long as you're under the gas "IN" post, you're fine! I think my kegs hold nearly 5.5 gallons to the "in" post. You just don't want to submerge the gas diptube, as the beer can flow back through it through the regulator if it's submerged.

About two weeks ago I had this happen with a Rootbeer...Lame! had to Clean out all the lines...talk about a mistake that will never be made again!

Back