Do i Need A Mash Paddle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really, you just basicly need a strong spoon / stick / spatuala long enough to stir the grain...since you are in Canada, for large batches I would suggest a hockey stick in a pinch. Lots of people use large stainless spoons and whatnot...but a dedicated mash paddle is cutesy:mug:

I would not delay a brew for lack of a mash paddle...any strong stik would do. I have a long strong bamboo spoon/spatula from the dollar store...works great! I also made a real nice larger wood paddle, but the bamboo wok stirrer works great and easier to use.

But if you want a real nice custom paddle....these look spiffy
http://www.mashpaddle.com/

I say yes even if nothing more than the cheap plastic one (thats the one I use) but if ur local hbs is too far away make due with what u have. Either way just remember to stir it like it owes u money. Chopps

In my area.. LHBS there is actaully nothing.. we don`t have one for ingrediants and or parts.. id really have to drive 1 hour and half to vancouver to get anything.. its unfortunate.

For batches that size, try a small canoe paddle with the finish sanded off (hey, you're in Canada where everyone has a canoe sitting around their house, right? ;) )

well my igloo is still intact right now so il take my dog whip and freeze it... put it in my mash tun and it will be like sparging

In my area.. LHBS there is actaully nothing.. we don`t have one for ingrediants and or parts.. id really have to drive 1 hour and half to vancouver to get anything.. its unfortunate.

You can always pick up a nice piece of hardwood such as maple and make your own mash paddle. It's a fun, cheap project and your mash paddle can be a nice piece to hang on the wall in your brew area. I'm currently making one myself...

:mug:I toured the River Horse Brewery in Lambertville NJ...the mash paddle was standing next to the MT...it was about the size of a row boat oar,but lets remember the Mash Tun was about 7 feet deep. I doubt you need a small canou paddle for a 15 gal kettle...cmon guys:mug:

Greetings fellow Canuck! I've been doing AG for about 6 months now, and quickly realized I wanted a paddle to break up the dough balls and give my mash a good stir. You can male do with a big spoon, but I much prefer a paddle. I just bought a cheap canoe paddle from Canadian Tire, sanded off the finish then drilled some big holes in it. Works great!

image-574411021.jpg

I keep wanting to make dirty jokes about what you should be stirring with, but if you're Canadian, it just wont work. Yeah, buy a cheap mash paddle bud

Sure, you could buy a big spoon from your local China-mart, but making your own mash paddle is akin to a Jedi building his own light saber. Does a Jedi NEED a light saber? No, but it certainly makes hacking down storm troopers easier, if you catch my drift. (Killing storm troopers is an analogy for smooshing dough balls!)

I bought a four foot piece of maple for six bucks, and had a mighty fine paddle an hour later. Just build one.

wilserbrewer said:
:mug:I toured the River Horse Brewery in Lambertville NJ...the mash paddle was standing next to the MT...it was about the size of a row boat oar,but lets remember the Mash Tun was about 7 feet deep. I doubt you need a small canou paddle for a 15 gal kettle...cmon guys:mug:

Where is this? I go to new hope every year to walk around with the family and the dog... I can never find a micro brew down there!

One of you suggested a hockey stick. I'm seriously thinking about this and wondering if there's anything special I need to do to the stick? I'd probably cut the blade off the stick, then shorten the stick so it's not super long in my 9 gallon pot. I'll also probably sand anything off that could contact the wort or mash. Is there anything else besides sanitizing I'd need to do? I think I'll also make the stick a ruler, put markings to show where each 1/2 and full gallon mark is in my pot to help with my sparge.

Back