Do I have clear wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetzie

Wetzelbrew
Reaction score
I have been brewing today with a newish 20 gl blichmann with the mash screen. I double crush my grains. I Lautered two quarts and then started filling my boil kettle.
I noticed a fair amount of small pieces of grain probably husks.
What will this do to my beer? I am going to be more vigilant with the sparge but three gallons is in the kettle out of 11 total.
I would like to learn from this experience and would like to know what to expect from my beer.
Thank you
It is an IPAD clone of Sierra Nevada Celebrations.

You should vorlauf until the liquid does not have many noticeable debris in it. I use a water heater braid in my mash tun and it sets the grain bet with maybe one quart of vorlauf.

If you have a large amount of grain husks getting into the boil you could get some tannin flavors. How much depends on how much husk actually gets in the BK.

Vorlauf more??

Vorlauf.. :). I can't believe I forgot that word. It seems that after two quarts it was clear but when I poured it into the kettle it is not very clear. I will do Borlaug until it is clear.
Thank you

I'm not sure how many other people brew the way I do, I've never really heard of anyone else doing it.... but I use a typical igloo cooler mash tun, with the water heater braid, and line the cooler with a BIAB bag. Hardly vorlauf at all, can get some awesome efficiency, clean up is a breeze, never have any problems with jusjs making it into the kettle, stuck sparge.. whats that?

My point... give a BIAB bag a shot in your MT, can't hurt!

Back