Do drinks have calories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamLuna

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Beer is a very healthy beverage if you use it with the right frequency. But if you overdo it, it will make you a very bad person. The issue I'm concerned with is whether this drink has calories? Hope everyone can give me the answer.
Thanks very much.

Yup, plenty of calories in most beers.
1615779869128.png

ethanol has 7 calories a gram, carbs 4 calories a gram, fat 9, protein 4 also....an avg beer has 13.9g's ethanol and some carbs too....

i brew a non-carb 8% beer that's dry with the help of an enzyme called gluco-amylase, a 12 oz glass has around 160-170 calories....but without the help of the enzyme, it would be 170 calories and only 6%....

but your also right beer is a good source of folate, and niacin....amongst other b vitamins!

Little known "fact":

You can erase beer calories in two ways:
1) run/walk/exercise to burn an equivalent number of calories consumed, or
2) drink diet soda in a precise amount* as to offset the calories consumed by drinking beer.

*the amount of diet soda must be precisely calculated and consumed immediately, or the cancellation effect doesn't happen

Calories intake management has a very simple equation.

Intake minus daily needs minus extra energy spent. If you are over you will gain a pound for every 3000 calories you are over. So if you consume 300 more than you need everyday, in ten days you gain a pound. Roughly. Goes the other way around too. Eat 300 less for ten days and lose a pound.

I need about 2200 calories a day (you can find calculators to find your own recommended amount).
If I eat 1800, drink 700 and workout, I stay at a very stable weight.

Intake minus daily needs minus extra energy spent. If you are over you will gain a pound for every 3000 calories you are over. So if you consume 300 more than you need everyday, in ten days you gain a pound. Roughly. Goes the other way around too. Eat 300 less for ten days and lose a pound.

I need about 2200 calories a day (you can find calculators to find your own recommended amount).

Better yet, eat 700, drink 1800, get the workout from lifting the 1800 :ghostly::thumbsup::bigmug:

Better yet, eat 700, drink 1800, get the workout from lifting the 1800 :ghostly::thumbsup::bigmug:
Just like Frank in Shameless (u.s.), about how he stays lean with all the beers he drinks!

Sheila: “Lean, aren’t you?”
Frank: “I can go three days without food.”

i believe it's actually 3500 calories a pound, give or take 100 per person. and those BMR calcs suck they tell me i only need 2500 or so, but i've been tracking my eating for 12 years, and i know i burn 2820...sedentary. now that i get some work 2 hours a week, it went up to 2950, but every pound of body weight up or down burns for me anyway around 8 calories.....so before i realized i was burning more calories weed eating 2 hours a week, i lost some weight.

now i burn around 2880.

it's really not that presise, but it's fun to pretend, and it works. :mug: i can meet all my nutritional need with 1,200 calories...so i usually say f'it let the beer flow!

I wish I could have that extra 500, but my liver wouldn't!

The moment I realized that one hour on the spinning bike, doing intervals and sweating like a pig, was burning the exact same amount of calories than my morning coffee with 18% cream, I freaked out and stopped both. I then learned that one pound of muscle burns more calories than one pound of fat, i decided to just do musculation and transform some pounds of fat into pounds of muscles. Now I'm about the same weight but leaner, and I can enjoy a few more beers without a problem. Best of both worlds, and no more freaking spinning bike!

I wish I could have that extra 500, but my liver wouldn't!

The moment I realized that one hour on the spinning bike, doing intervals and sweating like a pig, was burning the exact same amount of calories than my morning coffee with 18% cream, I freaked out and stopped both. I then learned that one pound of muscle burns more calories than one pound of fat, i decided to just do musculation and transform some pounds of fat into pounds of muscles. Now I'm about the same weight but leaner, and I can enjoy a few more beers without a problem. Best of both worlds, and no more freaking spinning bike!

when i started to learn about calories, i gave up on exercise too! :mug: my brain does a way better job, just balance it like a check book...

Last edited:
when i started to learn about calories, i gave up on exercise too! :mug: my brain does a way better job, just balance it like a check book...
Ahh, the good old "gather the info and make your own informed decision". The world needs more of this. Cheers!

Little known "fact":

2) drink diet soda in a precise amount* as to offset the calories consumed by drinking beer.

*the amount of diet soda must be precisely calculated and consumed immediately, or the cancellation effect doesn't happen
This reminds me SO much of back in my pizza-parlor working days; when fairly large people would order the all-you-can-eat salad bar, load up on all the high-carb/fat items, with about a quart of ranch dressing, then wash it down with an extra-large Diet coke. Cancels each other out, of course....

ethanol has 7 calories a gram, carbs 4 calories a gram, fat 9, protein 4 also....an avg beer has 13.9g's ethanol and some carbs too....

i brew a non-carb 8% beer that's dry with the help of an enzyme called gluco-amylase, a 12 oz glass has around 160-170 calories....but without the help of the enzyme, it would be 170 calories and only 6%....

but your also right beer is a good source of folate, and niacin....amongst other b vitamins!
Thank you for sharing, your opinion is very helpful to everyone.

Little known "fact":

Thanks a lot

Are you a doctor that can provide such detailed specifications?

no just someone with an internet connection...

https://data.nal.usda.gov/dataset/usda-national-nutrient-database-standard-reference-legacy-release
and a third party program to use it.....

edit: i got into it, when i found although i wish i could live off beer. i needed to eat, but want to know what was in what, and what i ACTUALLY needed. so i could save money on food. with the help of that beauty, i walk out of the grocery store with a weeks groceries for $10-15....

In a funny way drinks actually have more calories than solids. Imagine a pint glass of grape juice. How fast could you drink it? 30 seconds maybe? If I just let you sit with it and drink at normal speed it might take a few minutes, but you would probably finish. You could also probably polish off a second glass if I gave you one.

Not let's imagine a pint glass full of grapes. First off, there is air between the grapes. Right off the bat we have shaved off 25% of the calories. How long would it take you to eat a pint of grapes? Chances are, you won't even finish. Let's say 3/4 of pint.

Now let's freeze the grapes. How many do you eat now until you are full? Half cup maybe?

1 pint of grape juice is 300 calories (and you can probably drink 2, so 600 calories). Eating the grapes until you were full would be 170 calories (300 calories x75% occupied volume x 75% eaten), and frozen grapes only 56 calories (300 calories x 75% occupied volume * 1/4 eaten). Drinks also tend to be more refined, so you also don't get all of the good vitamins/nutrients/fiber that you would from a whole food.

In a funny way drinks actually have more calories than solids. Imagine a pint glass of grape juice. How fast could you drink it? 30 seconds maybe? If I just let you sit with it and drink at normal speed it might take a few minutes, but you would probably finish. You could also probably polish off a second glass if I gave you one.

Not let's imagine a pint glass full of grapes. First off, there is air between the grapes. Right off the bat we have shaved off 25% of the calories. How long would it take you to eat a pint of grapes? Chances are, you won't even finish. Let's say 3/4 of pint.

Now let's freeze the grapes. How many do you eat now until you are full? Half cup maybe?

1 pint of grape juice is 300 calories (and you can probably drink 2, so 600 calories). Eating the grapes until you were full would be 170 calories (300 calories x75% occupied volume x 75% eaten), and frozen grapes only 56 calories (300 calories x 75% occupied volume * 1/4 eaten). Drinks also tend to be more refined, so you also don't get all of the good vitamins/nutrients/fiber that you would from a whole food.

this is just being friendly, but that was some damn fine Star Trek techno babel! loved it! :mug:

According to the doctors I listen to, the idea of balancing calories intake and calories consumption is actually bogus. In the Western world we all tend to eat much more than what we "burn" in physical activities. We should actually work like mules to balance things out.

What happens is that a healthy organism is simply able to get rid of excess food just like it is able to get rid of excess water. You don't need to count calories just like you don't need to count liquids intake.
Which doesn't mean that you can eat whatever you want without measure and without getting fatter, but means that we should, generally speaking, obsess more with living a healthy life (which includes beer and wine naturally) and obsess less with balancing calories or doing calories counting. Doing exercise makes you slim not because you burn calories (you would never burn enough of them), but because that exercise makes you healthy and makes your body well-regulated.

My unscientific and unproved opinion is, also, that drinking wine with fat food* (and a good shot of grappa thereafter) will actually make you slimmer because it will help a lot the digestion of fats. Those fat people eating too much in AYCE restaurant and drinking diet coke are fat also because they drink diet coke instead of good old wine with their meal. They will thus stress their digestion/elimination capabilities uselessly. Alcohol is very good at "unmounting" fat molecules. It does to fat what enzymes do to the starches in our wort, basically.

This I cannot prove scientifically, but the suspect will come to your mind when you compare the number of fat people in the US with, say, the number of fat people in Italy, Greece of Spain. For a US tourist in Italy the lack of obese people, when compared to the US, must be immediately apparent**. All those obese people are "victims" not just of their bad habits, but also of this calories-counting method of controlling obesity.

* I mean, drinking whisky or wine separately from eating doesn't help digestion and is a bad idea in general.

** This is commonly attributed to the virtues of "mediterranean diet", but the fact is, nobody in the Mediterranean does Mediterranean diet since decades. We overeat in Italy just like anywhere else, pasta, pizza, meat and cheese. Maybe we eat some less fried food than other peoples, maybe.

Last edited:
It's not the calories, rather the hormonal imbalance (excess insulin) in the body created by carbohydrate rich food that trigger obesity/ insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Calories has little to do with why "we get fat." The American medical establishment has has this wrong since advent of refined foods 50-60+ look at the diabetes rate in the US and how many gyms there are.

Last edited:
I find if you stop eating, you don't really notice much of a weight change. yeah it has calories but you need them. Never really thought a whole lot about it tbh.

no just someone with an internet connection...

https://data.nal.usda.gov/dataset/usda-national-nutrient-database-standard-reference-legacy-release
and a third party program to use it.....

edit: i got into it, when i found although i wish i could live off beer. i needed to eat, but want to know what was in what, and what i ACTUALLY needed. so i could save money on food. with the help of that beauty, i walk out of the grocery store with a weeks groceries for $10-15....
Thanks you so much

Thanks for your support

According to the doctors I listen to, the idea of balancing calories intake and calories consumption is actually bogus. In the Western world we all tend to eat much more than what we "burn" in physical activities. We should actually work like mules to balance things out.

What happens is that a healthy organism is simply able to get rid of excess food just like it is able to get rid of excess water. You don't need to count calories just like you don't need to count liquids intake.
Which doesn't mean that you can eat whatever you want without measure and without getting fatter, but means that we should, generally speaking, obsess more with living a healthy life (which includes beer and wine naturally) and obsess less with balancing calories or doing calories counting. Doing exercise makes you slim not because you burn calories (you would never burn enough of them), but because that exercise makes you healthy and makes your body well-regulated.

My unscientific and unproved opinion is, also, that drinking wine with fat food* (and a good shot of grappa thereafter) will actually make you slimmer because it will help a lot the digestion of fats. Those fat people eating too much in AYCE restaurant and drinking diet coke are fat also because they drink diet coke instead of good old wine with their meal. They will thus stress their digestion/elimination capabilities uselessly. Alcohol is very good at "unmounting" fat molecules. It does to fat what enzymes do to the starches in our wort, basically.

This I cannot prove scientifically, but the suspect will come to your mind when you compare the number of fat people in the US with, say, the number of fat people in Italy, Greece of Spain. For a US tourist in Italy the lack of obese people, when compared to the US, must be immediately apparent**. All those obese people are "victims" not just of their bad habits, but also of this calories-counting method of controlling obesity.

* I mean, drinking whisky or wine separately from eating doesn't help digestion and is a bad idea in general.

** This is commonly attributed to the virtues of "mediterranean diet", but the fact is, nobody in the Mediterranean does Mediterranean diet since decades. We overeat in Italy just like anywhere else, pasta, pizza, meat and cheese. Maybe we eat some less fried food than other peoples, maybe.
Thanks you so much

I dropped 50 lbs in 5 mos or so, without exercise as exercise is extremely difficult medically.

I stopped eating between breakfast and dinner, maybe a small snack of fruit, cheese, bread. I watch calories in and calories out, though now it’s habit and I no longer count. I have a beer every now and then, wine more often, with dinner. I don’t gorge. I enjoy good food. I do try to avoid troll. Truly empty calories.

Back