DMS/etc in Unboiled Wort in Within Valves and Manifold...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrdn

Reaction score
I'm planning a small batch BIAB system in a 20 gallon kettle and wanted to add a simple valve tree to the mix, but got me wondering, there's likely going to be close to an additional gallon of wort within the valve tree. I was hoping to use 1" TC spooling with valve outlets for recirculation ports, etc. I wanted to do this for a few reasons.

1. It'd be nice to add an additional gallon of volume through spools, etc.
2. I like over-engineering things; it's fun.

With that, it got me wondering... are there issues with DMS / etc from the wort that didn't make it into the boil kettle for extended times? I'm sure this is an issue on larger scale operations as well, but they have way more volume as opposed to a 20 gallon kettle and ~1 gallon piping in my scenario.

Side note: there are other small systems that may have similar issues... the BrewTools 10 gallon kettle where people recirculate mash through CFC, and I'm sure there are others.

EDIT: I might have just answered my own question, but I could probably drain wort from lowest point and add back to BK. Though I bet after a few pints, may forget this step.

Do you really think you have ~1 gallon of liquid in your pipes/tubing? That seems like a lot. Can you run a test with water to see how much it actually holds?

no, it’s definitely not 1 gallon. I calculated it and I believe it was 0.1-0.2 gallons. I ended up getting the ss brewcart and manifold so it’ll be even lower than this. So cutting my losses on doing decent sized 10 gallon batches or just may sparge if I want more efficiency

Latest posts

Back