DME Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialized

Reaction score
Need some help and hopefully quick. I plan on botteling tonight and am a little confused about using DME to carbonate.

I have a surplus of this http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWSparklingAmberDME.pdf

I want to bottle condition a stout. I have 5 gallons, it fermented at 67 then conditioned for about a month at 73.

I used this website http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

It's telling me the following:

DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 8.7 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 6.8 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 6.4 oz

Not sure which one to go with... Any help is much appreciated.

Or to throw a curve ball in i was thinking about going with brown sugar, would anyone recommend it? How much should i go with that?

I would use 6 to 7 oz (dry weight) of DME (approximately 1.25-1.5 cups). Don't use brown sugar... too much of a chance of getting off flavors- like a cidery flavor.

Thanks BigB. Actually it's the deception stout that I see you have bottled. I can't wait!

Fantastic choice for a stout... I love that one... I'm actually out and need to brew more (I haven't updated the signature in a while). But for that stout, I would stick closer to 6 oz by weight DME. That one does great at about 2.5 volumes of CO2.

Hi guys,

same question really, going to keg an IPA later today and Tastubrew says:
DME 55% -11.4 oz
DME 70% -9.0 oz
DME 75% -8.4
Confused!!!! How much do I put in?

Hi guys,

same question really, going to keg an IPA later today and Tastubrew says:
DME 55% -11.4 oz
DME 70% -9.0 oz
DME 75% -8.4
Confused!!!! How much do I put in?

For 5 gallons, use 1.5 cups. I don't know how much that weighs, as I always weigh my priming sugar but use "cups" for my DME. I don't think the 55% DME (Laaglander) is even made any more.

Back