Dmadh ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
DMADH IPA
American IPA (14 B)Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.98 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Grain Bill:
11 lbs Brewers Malt (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %

Mash:
Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.40 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min
Fly sparge with 2.82 gal water at 168.0 F

Boil volume : 7 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.053 SG

Hop Schedule:
1.00 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 38.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 23.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 3.5 IBUs
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 5 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 7.7 %
Dry hop with 1oz Cascade in secondary

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.98 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.064 SG

I made a SMADH version of this about a month ago, it's good but came out a little to clear for me. I like my IPA's to have some color. This is version 2 with some cara 120 for color added. I'll post pictures tomorrow hopefully.

I brewed this last Thursday. I think it turned out pretty well but I have no way of knowing for a while. I do love the color of it though:

20160428_125251.jpg

Oh, sorry, I just thought this was a recipe discussion area. Wonder if I can have an admin move it or if I have to delete it.

Oh, sorry, I just thought this was a recipe discussion area. Wonder if I can have an admin move it or if I have to delete it.

No worries, I think I did the same thing once myself. As for the recipe, two questions:

Isn't a pound of C120 a bit much for an IPA? I'm not in the "no crystal in an IPA" camp but a pound of dark crystal like that seems pretty extreme.

Why so light on the late hops? An ounce of Cascade at 5 min and another ounce in the dry hop is pretty dang low for an IPA.

From one dragon to another, keep on brewing!

Honestly the hops are so light because I seal my hops in 1oz packages. Also I was using Beersmith and not looking at the numbers, I was looking at the slider for the style (American IPA) which I was right in the middle of. Now that I look at it I'll be at a paltry 56 IBUs which does kinda bumb me out a bit. Next time I think I'll bump it up by another ounce.

The reason I'm doing a DMaDH IPA is to cut down on costs. I buy my gain in bulk and I buy my hops in bulk. In the future I will probably go with half a pound of crystal I was just being lazy since they come in 1lb bags. I'll be the first to admit that in the fermenter it does look more like a brown ale then an IPA but I think in the glass it will be fine.

Really hope someone can move this so we can have more of a discussion on it. After the input and my 3rd or 4th modified batch maybe I'll officially enter it then.

Latest posts

Back