Dk Belgian Pale Ale (northern brewer kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojjow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Popped my beer brewing cherry, this being my first ever home brew. I Just transfered over to secondary last night before reading lots of info stating that this really isnt a neccesary step. Recipe calls for another 2-4 weeks for secondary fermentaion which seems like a pretty broad range. Has anybody had experience with this kit or similiar beer? How long until I can start bottling? Cheers :mug:

You're right that you did not need to secondary the brew.

After a total of 3-4 weeks check the SG over a few consecutive days to see if it is stable. Once it is, rack carefully to your bottling bucket which already has the priming sugar dissolved into pre-boiled and cooled water. Stir gently, then bottle. Leave the bottles to condition in a warm room for about a month before drinking. If you plan to refrigerate them, be sure to put them in the fridge a few days before drinking so the co2 can dissolve into solution.

Welcome to brewing!

B

In general, the longer you can wait, the better. I think this beer will benefit from as much age as you can stand. Aging in the secondary rather than in bottles can help with bottle to bottle consistency.

For drinking quickly, wait until the beer hits its final gravity, and then give it another week in primary for the yeast to clean up after themselves. After that, you can do whatever you want- bottle if you're bottling, add the dry hops/fruit/oak to primary, or rack to secondary for dry hops/other flavorings.

A few things you don't want to do are add dry hops while the beer is fermenting, or transfer to secondary while the beer is fermenting. All that offgassing of CO2 can carry off lovely hop aromatics, and having the beer on a yeast cake is helpful for finishing the beer out all the way.

Back