Muntons Belgian Style Ale kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony9i9i9i

Reaction score
Just brewed a Muntons Belgian Style Ale kit.

Just wondering how to work out the final ABV.

Started off with the malt supplied and yeast OG 1.040 was at 1.004 when I transferred to secondary (4.73%). At this point I had to stir in a packet of flavour enhancer, did that and took another gravity reading 1.014 and ended with a final gravity of 1.006 (1.05%).

Do you just ass the two percentages together to give 5.75% or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers Tony.

The basic formula used by most homebrewers is pretty simple: ABV = (OG - FG) * 131.25.

Just brewed a Muntons Belgian Style Ale kit.

Just wondering how to work out the final ABV.

Started off with the malt supplied and yeast OG 1.040 was at 1.004 when I transferred to secondary (4.73%). At this point I had to stir in a packet of flavour enhancer, did that and took another gravity reading 1.014 and ended with a final gravity of 1.006 (1.05%).

Do you just ass the two percentages together to give 5.75% or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers Tony.

I think you can just add the increased difference (.01) to the original gravity (1.04) to get 1.050, then subtract the final gravity of 1.006 to get .044 (which multiplied by the magic abv number of 131.25 = 5.78% abv).

Back