DIY Vinator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeoalex

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not all too close to a LHBS, the closest being in the middle of NYC(1-1:30 away), and not being the BEST selection. With that said, I forgot to add a vinator to my last order online, and would love to have one for when I bottle sometime in the next few weeks (and don't particularly want to buy one online and have to pay shipping for just that).
With that said, I'm currently in school as an engineering student, and saw this opportunity as a "screw it, i'll figure out how to do this on my own."

I'm still currently in the design stages (and will post up sketches after I draw them at work tomorrow).
My thought is to use my jet washer as the "pump" itself. I would take a plastic bowl or bottle, or something of that sort and fill it with sanatizer and hang it from somehwere...high. Then I can run a hose down to the jet washer with the hopes that the height difference will create enough flow so the washer can get a decent jet up and into the bottle.

If that doesn't work, I may try to add a small T fitting into the line, and run a small air line in. As an avid paintball player, I have a number of spare regulators, and a full air tank.

what do you guys think about that?

You'd have to put the bottle o sanitizer on the roof to get enough pressure to spray the inside of the bottle with a Jet washer.

I suggest a spray bottle. $.99

that's a solid possibility, but where's the fun in that, for a tinkerer?
My fluid dynamics class this semester would be a HUGE help right now heh.
I don't necessarily know that the fluid would reach a higher velocity, if the reservoir is higher than say, my ceiling. Remember, I only need a similar, or even slightly lower velocity than that off my sink.

yeah, your sink isn't that high of a velocity, but the stream greatly increases the pressure. sorry to say, don't think your idea will cut it. spray bottle or dunk them.

How much pressure builds up? There's no doubt that is true, but only so much can before it's back into equilibrium, and the flow is stopped

I say u get a super soaker that would be awesome and then with ur next order get what u need and then u got a squirt gun for other ventures

Are you talking about one of the pump speakers that people use for spraying outdoors? That's not a bad idea.
Sadly I think it's going to be a while until I start kegging

Fluid dynamics 101:

Your average house pressure is 40-60 psi
U water = 62.4 lb/ft3 = 62.4lb/ft2 per ft of water column
144 in2 per 1 ft2

62.4lb/ft2 * 1 ft2/144 in2 = .4333 lb/in2 per foot of water column.

40 lb/ft2 / .43333 = 92.3 ft of water column to achieve 40 psi

Go with the sprayer or spray bottle. It'd suck climbing a 90' ladder to refill your sanitizer.

Heh, alright! Too bad I have fluids in the fall, that was the info I was trying to find

As an avid paintball player, I have a number of spare regulators, and a full air tank.

what do you guys think about that?[/QUOTE]

+1 to Paintball, love to play! I know it's off topic but that's cool you brew and play paintball. If you ever get down to PA hit me up.

Awesome! Where in PA do you play? I don't know that I'll ever head down, but who knows!
Btw, if you're on PBN, there's a whole homebrewing thread in OSST

Hah I played D-Day there a few years back, fun but damn expensive.
I'm pretty easy to spot, I've got the same name hah

Back