DIY Tap Handle conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy40

Reaction score
Hey gang:

I'm the new guy here. I just ordered a kegerator for my home theater build and to go along with the theme of the theater I decided to convert an old flintlock pistol prop into a tap handle. I filled the barrel with JB weld so it's ready to go. I am just unsure about Ferrules and Finials. I have no idea which is which and what I need. Do they make different sizes? Do I need to measure? The diameter of the inside of the barrel is 5/8+. Any assistance is helpful

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

Finial is the decorative piece that goes on top of a tap handle. Ferrule is the decorative piece that goes underneath.

Probably what you're looking for is just a threaded insert, though personally I would have filled the inner threads of the insert with wax, filled the barrel with JB weld, then dropped in the insert and melted or chipped the wax out after the JB weld had fully cured. I've had trouble with JB weld crumbling when I try to bore into it, but maybe I'm not mixing it correctly.

Anything with a 3/8"-16 thread will work, even if it's just a couple of hex nuts, but those would have definitely been better before the JB weld was cured unless you have a way to drill a hexagon shaped hole or you're really good with a small chisel.

You should be able to find the threaded insert you need in a Home Depot/Menards box store in the specialty trays. It's where I found mine.

Out of curiosity how heavy is that prop pistol? Just wondering if the weight might be a bit much for the tap. I'd hate to see it accidentally open the tap....

I found these on Kegworks. In theory I should be able to pre-drill and screw this in right? Then just attach the desired Ferrule and pull away. But I honestly didn't think about the weight question. That does concern me. Unfortunately it doesn't register on my digital scale, but if I had to guess I would say just north of a pound.

HANGBLT-TapBolt-b1.jpg

HANGBLT-TapBolt-bz3.jpg

HANGBLT-TapBolt-bz1.jpg

Those ferrules pictured from kegworks are what I got (in chrome) to convert my white labs vials. I didn't buy them there, I forget where I got them, but they had a few sizes. The medium one were a perfect fit for the soda bottle lids on my vials. I used a washer and bolt inside the lid that thread into the ferrule. Works great. Hope that helps.

Get the JB out. Find a piece of brass, aluminum or copper round stock that will fit tightly up into the barrel of the pistol. Then drill and tap a 3/8-16 into it. WahLa! I did this with WhiteLab vials it took 1" diameter aluminum round stock that I put in the lathe and turned it down to 7/8 and left a 1/16 "lip" so the aluminum would have a stop.

Ugh. I don't think that JB is gonna come out. And if it does it's not coming out without a serious fight.

Stealthcruiser I am outside the perimeter in Covington. In Newton County.

Cooperbrew: what do you think about the Perlick faucets to counter the tap handle weight issue? They are slanted slightly backwards.

JB weld will come out very easily if you heat it up. I chiseled off a failed refrigerator repair with a wood burning pen or soldering iron, I don't remember which. It works wonders.

Ugh. I don't think that JB is gonna come out. And if it does it's not coming out without a serious fight.

Stealthcruiser I am outside the perimeter in Covington. In Newton County.

Cooperbrew: what do you think about the Perlick faucets to counter the tap handle weight issue? They are slanted slightly backwards.
I have Perlick 525's on my keezer but I'm just using White Labs Yeast tubes for my handles. I'm sure the handle you have in mind would work but I'd be concerned about long term wear with that much weight on the tap. I'm sure some of the "factory" tap handles can be a bit weighty but I've never see any specific numbers on weight in relation to the faucets.

Back