DIY Randall - 5" housing vs. 10" housing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krid

Reaction score
Hello all.

I was looking in to building a randall because why not.

It seems like the DIY standard is a 10" filter housing, but I was wondering if that is an unnecessary/wasteful amount of space to fill with randallizer goodies...

Has anyone built one out of the smaller 5" filter housings that are available?

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there you go.

Does anyone have one of these homemade randalls (either size)?

What quantity of stuff can you cram in there?

I saw a video of a guy with the larger housing and he put 2 oz of leaf hops in it. But after the beer started flowing, the hops really didnt take up that much space.

I'm thinking if you packed it more aggressively, the 5" would work for a similar quantity of leaf hops... though maybe its less good for non-hop materials...

I made one out of a stainless steel water bottle , a water faucet aerator and two hose barbs . I drilled a hole in the bottom of the water bottle and silver soldered the hose barb not and filled and tapped the plastic cap and screwed the barb in there . The water faucet aerator fit snugly into the underside of the cap with an o-ring . It worked fairly well though I had to up the pressure a bit and add a longer hose from the Randal to the faucet to prevent foaming View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464618257.303874.jpg

Back