Diy on pilot light for brutus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agezzi

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out? I need to know how to make and plum in a pilot light. Fittings, piping etc..... Trying to get all my parts before the weekend. Got a friend helping to plum it up this weekend. Just want to do a standing pilot nothing special. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. I wana brew!

Simple. Get some pilot light tube and an inline pilot valve. If you are just doing a standing pilot you don't even need to put a tip on the end. Just use the pilot valve to control gas flow. Of course you will have to get the right fitting to match your gas tubing before the burner valves.
http://allpointsfps.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=521039

You won't be able to order from there because it is a dealer only site (one of the suppliers I use) but it shows what I mean by pilot valve.

Search some pilot light threads here. A poster named "KLADUE" is the expert on your pilot question. But just to pipe in here :My pilot is as basic as it gets. I found small ID (1/8) soft, copper pipe ,used a flare tool to flare the ends (you will have to put flare fittings,1/4"fittings i believe, on before flaring), attached one end to a ball valve, capped the pilot end, drilled the smallest hole into the cap. I open the ball valve slowly and Light it. The flame is orange which is inefficient but it works great. You will have to adjust it to be about 1/2 to 1 inch high by using it's dedicated ball valve. Attached is a photo of my 1/2 piping system. Sorry I don't have a closeup of my pilot and the way it's attached. Pretty rudimentary though.
Snake10

gas2.jpg

First question is what type burner, second is gas supply high pressure LP (more than 1 PSI). Best suggestion for a pilot is the mixer type like a Honeywell Q314, which is more dependable in outdoor/ windy conditions. An alternative is to copy the original "Brutus 10" method and just use a piece of 1/4" copper tube and a 1/4" brass needle valve from HD or Lowes. The goal of the pilot light is to direct a flame across the burner openings without the flame touching the burner casting. With the pilot burner, you place a flat object on top of the burner and position the pilot light so the top of the pilot burner is even with the top of the main burner, and it burns up and across the top of the burner at a 45 degree angle. This keeps the pilot burner hardware out of the main flame so it will last longer.

kladue said:
First question is what type burner, second is gas supply high pressure LP (more than 1 PSI). Best suggestion for a pilot is the mixer type like a Honeywell Q314, which is more dependable in outdoor/ windy conditions. An alternative is to copy the original "Brutus 10" method and just use a piece of 1/4" copper tube and a 1/4" brass needle valve from HD or Lowes. The goal of the pilot light is to direct a flame across the burner openings without the flame touching the burner casting. With the pilot burner, you place a flat object on top of the burner and position the pilot light so the top of the pilot burner is even with the top of the main burner, and it burns up and across the top of the burner at a 45 degree angle. This keeps the pilot burner hardware out of the main flame so it will last longer.

Ok I have the mini 10 jet tipped burners. They r low pressure. Will b using propane on a 0-30 regulator. Have looked on line at lowes and hd with no luck on needle valve. Can u give some sort of parts list or whatever u can. Would like to hit up the hardware store after work. I'm new to the gas plumbing concept, so any help is much needed on material for pilot. Cheers

Here is a link to Lowes for the needle valve http://www.lowes.com/pl_Brass+_4294822030_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&page=13. I would suggest using a ball valve before the needle valve so you can set it once and turn it on/off with ball valve. This needle valve should be available in hardware stores and HD/Lowes as everybody buys from same fitting supplier. you will need a couple pipe bushings to step down from 1/2" pipe to 1/8" pipe, but they should be within an arms reach of the valves on the display board.

Just a mockup, but does this look right? Ball valve will b mounted to tee then to copper, also does my pilot tip look to b small anuff? As well does anyone know the best way to hook the pilot to the mini burner, and what size hole it has for pilot. Burners will b here tomorrow. Thanks agezzi

image-2158312956.jpg

image-1654227176.jpg

agezzi said:
Just a mockup, but does this look right? Ball valve will b mounted to tee then to copper, also does my pilot tip look to b small anuff? As well does anyone know the best way to hook the pilot to the mini burner, and what size hole it has for pilot. Burners will b here tomorrow. Thanks agezzi

Any takers on some help. I'll start building tomorrow

Use a longer piece of copper tube and hose clamps to fasten the copper tube to underside of the burner. Try to bend the tube to position the opening in the center so the flame burns up beside the center nozzles, not touching them. The goal is to get the pilot flame to burn along side any of the nozzles as the flame will spread to all others, and the pilot flame does not need to large, just high enough to pass an inch above the top of the burner tips. The lower you can place the pilot in relation to the burner tips, the longer it will last as the flame and heat from the burner tips would not be good for the tube and fittings shown.

Latest posts

Back