DIY Mash Tun - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roust56

Reaction score
I followed the following Mash Tun tutorial: https://rivercrewbrewingcompany.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/building-my-10-gallon-mash-tun-cooler/

Only to find out that since 2011, the size of the hole left behind when you remove the spigot on a 10 gallon Home Depot cooler is much larger than 3/8.

Step 4 states that inserting the nipple through the hole with the gasket in place should be difficult, but doable. Well there is plenty of room, so much room that if I let go of the metal piece it just falls right out, there is maybe 1/4 inch between the gasket and the nipple. I put it together anyway as best I could following the instructions up to where the ball valve is attached, and I cannot get it tight enough to where I can't spin the entire ball valve assembly around. I put some water in it and, as expected, there is a slow leak that appears to be coming from behind the washers you see in the 2nd picture under step 5.

Considering I just spent more than I probably should have on all the parts in 3/8, is there any simple fix for this? Should I put replace the 3/8 nipple with 1/2 inch and then put 3/8 adapters on both ends?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried getting some gasket rubber and cutting a piece to wrap around the nipple for a tighter fit. That did not work.

Any suggestions?

I want to be able to take it apart for cleaning but at this point I'm considering just sealing the inside with silicone sealant so I can actually use the damn thing.

Alright, there goes $20-30 bucks in parts. I wish I had done more research.

a note the hole for my cooler was just under 1 inch approx. grabbed this one in Abbotsford BC Home Depot

Back