DIY Hop Strainer / Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkeee277

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there for anybody looking for cheap way to keep pellet hop matter out of the fermentation vessel. It's pretty easy to build, about $30 bucks for the materials. Nice thing about it is that you can adjust the height of the hop holder depending on the volume of wort in the kettle.
The filter is from a restaurant supply store, and everything else from Home Depot. Redneck as it may be, it gets the job done nicely.

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0698.jpg

Ive used this strainer in transfering wort to a bucket. Dont use it that much anymore now that I mostly use carboys. I found that the strainer tended to clog pretty fast when used in that application and there was a lot of technique in trying to keep it unclogged.

How does it function in a boil?

Ive used this strainer in transfering wort to a bucket. Dont use it that much anymore now that I mostly use carboys. I found that the strainer tended to clog pretty fast when used in that application and there was a lot of technique in trying to keep it unclogged.

How does it function in a boil?

The idea is to keep the top inch or so of the strainer above the top of the liquid level during the boil, with the rest of if submerged. The hops get added into the strainer and are kept in there for the duration of the boil. The utilization should be pretty good with that much wort contact area...... When the boil is done, you just pull the entire strainer set up out with the hops trapped inside. No muss, no fuss.....

Just throwing this out there for anybody looking for cheap way to keep pellet hop matter out of the fermentation vessel. It's pretty easy to build, about $30 bucks for the materials. Nice thing about it is that you can adjust the height of the hop holder depending on the volume of wort in the kettle.

The filter is from a restaurant supply store, and everything else from Home Depot. Redneck as it may be, it gets the job done nicely.

What kind of filter is that? Seems pretty cool

Cheers!

What kind of filter is that? Seems pretty cool

Cheers!

It's a commercial strainer that I picked up from a restaurant supply store. It had a handle on it, but I cut it off and used it for the bar that goes across the top of the filter.... It works great as the screen is double walled so nothing gets through except for liquid.....

Back