DIY FTSs - fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xernex

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
So this has been discussed - but not to great length honestly.

Looking at SS Brewtech's FTSs it's a great system, but I can't help but think I can do it cheaper.

So I'm thinking about 3 of SS Brewtech's brew buckets - thought about a chronical, but I just can't justify the price...especially a brewmaster - so I can get 3 of the buckets for the price of 1 chronical (again brewmaster edition) I'm not recycling my yeast, so I don't think I'm loosing that much here.

My thought is buy one of these(maybe 2):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420V094/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cut it in 1/3's or half if I buy 2, then add some compression fittings, and barbs, drill through the top of the bucket's lid and run it through with weld-less fittings to keep it nice and air tight-ish, at that point you just need a pump, and an inkbird and you're good to go. Figure I can do each one for less than 100 bucks, quite a bit less if I really try.

Any ideas? Concerns? - I know a fermentation chamber would be way easier, but I just don't have the space for another freezer/fridge in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it. The best part is you can leave your fermenter out to show off rather than hiding it in a fridge.

You could do proof of concept with a bucket and work out any kinks without modifying an expensive fermenter.

You could do proof of concept with a bucket and work out any kinks without modifying an expensive fermenter.

actually had that thought - probably going to sacrifice a bucket lid first just to be safe - I can't see why it wouldn't work, and it does seem significantly cheaper so I'm pretty sold on it.

I'm sure it will work too. Though you might build it and then realize, "That hole would be so much better if it were just a little but more that way."

My first conical was a SS Brewtech before they came out with the cooling coils. I made my own pass through the domed lid with hydraulic disconnects. It works just as well as the FTSs version, but is slightly harder to clean since it is hard mounted.

2015-12-03 21.57.30.jpg

2015-11-24 20.43.30.jpg

My first conical was a SS Brewtech before they came out with the cooling coils. I made my own pass through the domed lid with hydraulic disconnects. It works just as well as the FTSs version, but is slightly harder to clean since it is hard mounted.

Any chance I can get a good shot of that lid and the connectors?

Wouldn't snug silicone plugs work, if going through the lid? Push the ends of the coil through the plugs, just like an airlock...

I'm fairly certain that'd work just fine - I'm just trying to make it nice and pretty of course my proof of concept may end up going the cheaper route.

Xernex,

See attached images. Dirty right now but you can make out what I did. The fact that I used a domed lid (to keep pressure rating) made the install a little difficult and rough looking. I used the stainlessbrewing coil that you have listed in the last post in 1/2" and their bulkheads to connect the hydraulic connects.

2016-11-02 17.29.40.jpg

2016-11-02 17.29.50.jpg

2016-11-02 17.29.56.jpg

2016-11-02 17.29.59.jpg

@jddevinn thanks for that - looks pretty much exactly how I want to set mine up - hopefully I'll be ordering everything in the next couple of weeks.

No problem. I was initially concerned with sanitation but it has been a non issue.

If you do use hydraulic disconnects like I did make sure you don't take a cold sealed glycol coil and clean it with hot water or the compression joints will pop! I always just drain mine into a beaker with a spare disconnect and then add it back to the reservoir.

Good to know - I'm probably just going to be pumping cold water for now though - I can pipe it right through my Keezer and all should work well.

Back