DIY Fermenter — Is it a lost cause?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MildCharisma

Reaction score
Picked up a used mini fridge this morning for $40.
Two hours later I had it cleaned. Trimmed the door and was ready to bend down the freezer tray to give me the vertical clearance. Went extra slow. Thought I was being careful— then the hiss starts. Cracked the line right at the joint between the tray and the line. Blast!

I’m thinking a can JB weld the crack and recharge the system. But will it be worth the tools and materials? If I mended the crack and got a piercing valve on there, what can I expect to pay for a recharge?

Fix it or start the search over?

Attachments

• 0A19B3B0-5616-45A7-B618-454242B117D8.jpeg
    0A19B3B0-5616-45A7-B618-454242B117D8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 58
My opinion would be that unless you're a certified HVAC tech who can braze the line and recharge the system yourself with stuff you already have, it's not worth your time and effort for a $40 used mini fridge.

trash it. get another cheap mini and use something to maintain he bend radius when folding the freezer down....and a hair dryer to warm the metal line.

I played this game last summer when I did the same thing. After looking into it I junked it and bought a chest freezer

Back