DIY Coolship plans? Has anyone built a coolship?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to jump into spontaneous fermentation and brewing traditional lambics using a coolship.

This has led me to thinking about how a coolship can be built. It must be shallow and have a wide surface area to accommodate the scale I want to brew at (10 gallons+) so I can either fill two carboys and or an used 8 gallon barrel.

I looked at chafer food pans online but it only holds up to 8 quarts so scratch that. A video on BrewingTV shows a guy using a converted fish gutting station but they aren't easy to come by.

Has anyone found anything that could be converted into a coolship? Would love to see what this community has come up with. My hope is to find something simpler than going to a metalworking shop to give them specs for dimensions to build one out.

Thanks!

How much volume do you need? My thought would be to have a wide basin to collect the ambient bacteria and yeast, then once it gets going, pitch that vessel into the larger container of wort. No practical experience here, just a thought.

That looks like it could work because being contained into a smaller container could prevent it from cooling too fast. I do like having an opening where I could drain the wort into another vessel for long term fermentation.

I just came across these maple syrup evaporator pans. A bit pricey but it's already ready to go, complete with 1/2" fittings to attach a ball valve to. The only thing I'd want to do is build some kind of stand to put this on top of.

http://stainlesssteelcreations.net/24in24in7inf.html
This particular model holds 17 gallons. Can be used to fill 2 carboys if I brew 10 gallons, or 16 gallons if I want to fill up 2 small oak barrels that have already been innoculated with bugs from dregs.

I have a little brewing alcove in my garage, was thinking of posting boards to a wall and the ceiling where I'd leave the coolship, and prep the wood by spraying with fermented starters and dregs over time, this way whenever I put hot wort in the coolship, the steam releases the flora from the wood into the environment.

That looks like it could work because being contained into a smaller container could prevent it from cooling too fast. I do like having an opening where I could drain the wort into another vessel for long term fermentation.

I just came across these maple syrup evaporator pans. A bit pricey but it's already ready to go, complete with 1/2" fittings to attach a ball valve to. The only thing I'd want to do is build some kind of stand to put this on top of.

http://stainlesssteelcreations.net/24in24in7inf.html
This particular model holds 17 gallons. Can be used to fill 2 carboys if I brew 10 gallons, or 16 gallons if I want to fill up 2 small oak barrels that have already been innoculated with bugs from dregs.

I have a little brewing alcove in my garage, was thinking of posting boards to a wall and the ceiling where I'd leave the coolship, and prep the wood by spraying with fermented starters and dregs over time, this way whenever I put hot wort in the coolship, the steam releases the flora from the wood into the environment.

Holy crap this is awesome. That would make an awesome koelschip.

If you have a spare sanke keg, lay it sideways and cut out the "top" of the side like the BBQ guys do.

Can probably squeeze in 6-7 gallons that way. Not quite the volume you are after but seems DIYable.

Latest posts

Back