Diy co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciphin78

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with creating and capturing their own CO2 for carbonating? I’ve read about chemical reactions that generate CO2 but I’m not sure how much you yield you would get from that or even how I would get it in a tank. I think I even heard about someone that recycles the CO2 from fermenting batches and uses it to force carb other beer. Any thoughts?

Not sure why you would want to do this. It's $21 for me to fill my 5lb co2 tank, which in reading on here is actually pretty relatively expensive, but even so it works out to $2 per keg of beer.

How much is your time worth? That's the question you should be asking.

This has been discussed here many times. It's very simple and easy to use the C02 produced to carbonate a beer at the end of fermentation using a spunding valve, and some commercial breweries use this method extensively. Capturing and storing the C02 for later use force carbonating or serving your beer is another story. It's not really feasible at the home brewing level, and nowhere near cost effective compared to the price of C02.

Back