DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my math is correct, for star san it looks like it'd be a little more than 1 tsp. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not 100% sure this is what you were asking though.

That is what I was looking for. Anyone have any idea when more becomes too much? I can pretty easily measure ~1/2 an oz but thats around 3 tsp.

My bottle of Star San reads 1oz to 5 gallons.

I'm at work and don't have my bottle on me. That sounds right.

That is what I was looking for. Anyone have any idea when more becomes too much? I can pretty easily measure ~1/2 an oz but thats around 3 tsp.

I'm at work and don't have my bottle on me. That sounds right.

A good suggestion I've seen on this form is to get a needleless syringe at a local drug store. Those can usually measure out a couple CCs pretty accurately, much better than trying to use measuring spoons.

zachattack said:
A good suggestion I've seen on this form is to get a needleless syringe at a local drug store. Those can usually measure out a couple CCs pretty accurately, much better than trying to use measuring spoons.

That's what I use... I get 5cc and 10cc (1tsp and 2tsp, respectively) two-piece oral syringes from my pharmacist for free.

Thats a great suggestion, thanks!

Thanks geniz!

The most expensive item was the Ball Lock Post @ $9, the sprayer was $6, and the adapter was $2. Exactly what geniz said.

My LHBS sells a line cleaner for $60. He was AMAZED when I showed him this. He talks down the INTERNET every chance he gets. This item shut him up quick!

Thank you.

P.S. The adapter leaked at first.............. until I wrapped more Teflon tape on the threads. That took care of it. This has also been mentioned earlier.

Bardo87 said:
I just took off the green nozzle and wore down the plastic threads a little with a pliers. Then with a little thread tape (not sure how much it actually helped) cross threaded the **** out of the sprayer with my pin lock connection. It created a seal and pushed a whole bottle of cleaning solution through my lines w/o a leak.

This approach worked great for me. Used a ton of thread tape.

Many props to geniz for this one. I put it together this weekend and it works like a charm. cleaned three lines in less than 5 minutes without the hassle of dealing with a keg...

Awesome DIY project, so simple, so practical. Thanks!

Made two attachments, one for my home brew lines and one for the commercial keg lines. Fresh tasting beer for me from now on!

Does it need to be a firestone post? The one I purchased is not a firestone...it was Corny-Spartan. If the sizes match up it should fit, no?

Does it need to be a firestone post? The one I purchased is not a firestone...it was Corny-Spartan. If the sizes match up it should fit, no?

If your post threads on to the A176 adapter, you're golden. Otoh, if it binds up within a half turn or so, you need a different post...

Cheers!

Hello all,
This had been on my list of things to make for a while. I finaly got the wild hair up my a#$ to do it. this is my answer:
ball_lock.jpg

The top piece is a piece of 303 stainless that i turned and threaded to mach the post of the cornie keg. the back is a wee hose barb. I would have liked to make it longer but I was making it out of a scrap and did not want to pull down a full bar to make one piece. It used the same o-ring as the dip tube takes to seal.

CaptKiRkLeS said:

The corny-spartan won't fit on the adaptor. You need a Firestone to fit properly

Which one of these do I reuse and where dose it go?

You reuse the top one, and it goes between the black plastic nozzle end and the A176 adapter. Stuff the wide end into the adapter so the skinny end faces the black plastic piece, and the "trigger" plunger will have something to seal against...

Cheers!

You reuse the top one, and it goes between the black plastic nozzle end and the A176 adapter. Stuff the wide end into the adapter so the skinny end faces the black plastic piece, and the "trigger" plunger will have something to seal against...

Cheers!

Thanks day_trippr for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mug:

I use pin-lock kegs so A176 didn't work for the pin lock post I bought. I had to get A178, not sure if that is mentioned in here. It didn't screw on much but it doesn't leak so it works for me.

Hello all,
This had been on my list of things to make for a while. I finaly got the wild hair up my a#$ to do it. this is my answer:
ball_lock.jpg

The top piece is a piece of 303 stainless that i turned and threaded to mach the post of the cornie keg. the back is a wee hose barb. I would have liked to make it longer but I was making it out of a scrap and did not want to pull down a full bar to make one piece. It used the same o-ring as the dip tube takes to seal.

You should fab and sell a fitting for us pin lock saps.

I have a working pin lock version. All I did was get a pin lock post and a fitting that had the same sized thread to 1/2" barb from chi company. Was a little more expensive than a HD or Lowes fitting, but did the trick.

Can you provide a link to those parts? I have pin locks and would like to build one of these, thanks!

lincoln said:
Working on it, Ordered some hex bar stock. :mug:

Awesome! I would love to be your first product tester. Not a bad idea to patent it either :p

Please keep me updated.

ya, not a patentable kind of thing. Well you can patent anything, its defending the patent that is the trick. Also since chi company already has an adapter for cheaper than I can make them for. Not sure if it has any value. but i think i can make a three piece so that you don't have to wast a good post to make a cleaner....

lincoln said:
ya, not a patentable kind of thing. Well you can patent anything, its defending the patent that is the trick. Also since chi company already has an adapter for cheaper than I can make them for. Not sure if it has any value. but i think i can make a three piece so that you don't have to wast a good post to make a cleaner....

Ahh that's an actual company name. Haha

Well let me know any pricing or time frame for your all in one. I don't mind waiting. Thanks.

I have a working pin lock version. All I did was get a pin lock post and a fitting that had the same sized thread to 1/2" barb from chi company. Was a little more expensive than a HD or Lowes fitting, but did the trick.

Which catalog number for the barb part?

Just built one tonight. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I haven't seen the parts list for the 1/4" MFL style connection (instead of Firestone post and disconnect).

Flo-master sprayer (56HD) $6.98
Watts 3/8 FIP x 1/4 FIP coupling (LFA-765) $4.30
Watts 1/4 MIP X 1/4 MFL (A-80) $1.76

Total: $13.04, plus tax

I was trying for a one piece 3/8 FIP X 1/4 MFL, but that isn't made or wasn't in stock.

I reused the larger gasket from inside the green plastic tip, and it's holding pressure and the trigger works.

image-214832267.jpg

This is a perfect solution for pin locks and those who can't find a Firestone post.

Well done. Thanks

I was thinking of going this way, I havent tried but can you remove the nozzle with the hose still attached from the liquid post? Cause if I have to take the hose off, which is a pain in the ass I may just go full post instead.

Just built one tonight. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I haven't seen the parts list for the 1/4" MFL style connection (instead of Firestone post and disconnect).

Flo-master sprayer (56HD) $6.98
Watts 3/8 FIP x 1/4 FIP coupling (LFA-765) $4.30
Watts 1/4 MIP X 1/4 MFL (A-80) $1.76

Total: $13.04, plus tax

I was trying for a one piece 3/8 FIP X 1/4 MFL, but that isn't made or wasn't in stock.

I reused the larger gasket from inside the green plastic tip, and it's holding pressure and the trigger works.

grendelrt said:
I was thinking of going this way, I havent tried but can you remove the nozzle with the hose still attached from the liquid post? Cause if I have to take the hose off, which is a pain in the ass I may just go full post instead.

Not sure I understand the question

Not sure I understand the question

On a pin lock liquid post that has the quick disconnect, it would be the post, then a nut with a barbed end inside it. The hose would be on the barbed end with the nut, I was curious if you can remove the nut and disconnect the barbed end with hose still attached. Since removing the hose off the barbed end is such a pain in the butt.

On a pin lock liquid post that has the quick disconnect, it would be the post, then a nut with a barbed end inside it. The hose would be on the barbed end with the nut, I was curious if you can remove the nut and disconnect the barbed end with hose still attached. Since removing the hose off the barbed end is such a pain in the butt.

Yes, that's why people use MFL connections (aka "swivel nuts"). You get a barb to MFL adapter that you leave with the tubing, then you get your disconnects with MFL fittings instead of barbs. Then you can move tubing around without yanking it off the barb. Also if you get a Sankey coupler with MFL fittings you can easily swap between commercial and homebrew.

Yes, that's why people use MFL connections (aka "swivel nuts"). You get a barb to MFL adapter that you leave with the tubing, then you get your disconnects with MFL fittings instead of barbs. Then you can move tubing around without yanking it off the barb. Also if you get a Sankey coupler with MFL fittings you can easily swap between commercial and homebrew.

Ok cool, i havent actually taken one apart yet, they are all in my keezer. I wasnt sure if there was enough room to remove the nuts with the hose on, thanks for the response =)

Not going to clutter this up with pics, but I built one of these to the OP's specs and it is FANTASTIC!!! Great solution for bypassing the whole "push a keg full of sanitizer through with your CO2" issue. Especially since I like to pump Oxyclean through, then chase it with Starsan. Pump 50 ounces of one, then just refil quick with the other.

I built this and push blc with it. What a great solution. My lines will be cleaned far more often now. I pump a whole container through each line which cleanness them nicely then I follow with water and or sanitizer.

Quick and easy.

All this thread needs is a formula for actual beer line cleaner. Anybody have any ideas for that, other than buying commercial stuff?

Well, with 2/5 tbsp making a quart of cleaner, my concentrate is 5 years old and only 3/4 used up, so the "real" stuff is pretty economical IMHO.

Since I like my first one so much, I'm thinking about making one or two more in order to always keep the same liquid in them. Does anyone know it would ruin the container if you stored starsan and BLC in them for an extended period of time?

Just read through the entire thread, excellent stuff and thanks again to geniz for posting this build.

I plan on getting the required parts this weekend and throwing it together, provided I can find them all. Unfortunately (in this case) I recently moved to Alberta Canada for work, and the local home depots do not appear to carry the flo-master HD56 sprayer. (USA home depot only has it for in store pick up, no shipping...everything is 100x more difficult in Canada). However, the Canadian Home Depot carries a different model flo-master sprayer (2.5 pint).

Does anyone know if this will work with the firestone post?

Cheers!

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sprayer-mister-25-pints-translucent-white-polyethylene-tank/310114

From 100 feet, it looks like it could be the same sprayer head, but YMMV. When I purchased the US one, it didn't come in a box. So, if the same story at your home depot, it'd be pretty easy to just bring a firestone post with you, unscrew the green head and see if it screws in OK before purchasing.

Although, maybe you don't want to purchase the firestone post until you get confirmation -- maybe do it the other way around; buy at HD, go to HBS, test post, return to HD if it doesn't work?

Yea, that's my plan. I called the local HB store here, they have posts for ball locks but didn't know what kind they were, so my plan is:

Go to HD, buy the A-176 coupling, see if it will fit on the sprayer, then go to the HB store (very close thankfully) and see if the other end of the coupling fits into any of their posts.

Cross your fingers!

Back