DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to add my thanks for this idea.
I built my sprayer this week and was amazed at how much better my beer is flowing now.

Piling on. Thank you for posting this idea. Simple. Inexpensive. Brilliant!

To add to previous comments, the trigger is useless unless you add the white plastic gasket from the original nozzle. You need to insert it reversed from the original orientation to get it to work in the brass fitting. After I did that I realized that the ball lock fitting actually controls the flow and I removed the gasket. I didn't want to have to press the trigger after I opened the tap in order to get the liquid to flow. To each his own I guess.

Yeah, I never saw the need to have the trigger functional. As others have demonstrated, you can put the white washer in line to have the trigger, but when you're using the cleaner it's just one more thing to tend to. As long as you start with the tap closed, the trigger is redundant.

The same is true for cleaning/sanitizing a beer gun.

Built one this weekend, about $20 total and 5 minutes of "labor"
Great idea and thanks for sharing
(I agree about the trigger, you don't really need it since your faucet/cobra tap handle essentially becomes the new trigger)

Also, knowing that a Firestone liquid post works on a 3/8" flare fitting, that opens up a lot more possibilities for other "creations" and tools. Like this: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_19_221_226&products_id=892

You could put a corny post on this and then hook it up to a water line for cleaning/rinsing/etc.

DustBow said:
Built one this weekend, about $20 total and 5 minutes of "labor"
Great idea and thanks for sharing
(I agree about the trigger, you don't really need it since your faucet/cobra tap handle essentially becomes the new trigger)

Also, knowing that a Firestone liquid post works on a 3/8" flare fitting, that opens up a lot more possibilities for other "creations" and tools. Like this: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_19_221_226&products_id=892

You could put a corny post on this and then hook it up to a water line for cleaning/rinsing/etc.

Excellent idea!
Make it, post it!

[...]I want to thank everyone for their interest and support.

Aw, shucks. Really, it was nothing.

;)

Mega golf claps to you, geniz! I said it before, of all the DYI tips I've come across this one has the best bang for the buck.

And you have my vote for Sticky status! :D

Cheers!

Seriously, kudos on this. Actually, I'm gonna go ahead and vote STICKY. Yeah? I thought so. :ban:

This may have already been mentioned but I just take an empty Corny keg, fill it with cleaner, pressureize it with compressed air, and clean away.

I'd be happy to put together a Wiki if there is an interest.
I'd need some pointers on where to find info on how to do it

This may have already been mentioned but I just take an empty Corny keg, fill it with cleaner, pressureize it with compressed air, and clean away.

Sure, but that requires an empty keg and a compressor.

I don't like empty kegs :D and I don't have compressor :eek:

I've never seen such a thing suggested, probably because most people don't have a compressor handy, and the ones that do wouldn't want to coat the inside of a keg with compressor lubricant or the rusty nasties that collect at the bottom of a compressor tank.

The whole point of this gadget is to not have to use a keg, as well as avoiding the need to use CO2 - or a compressor that most wouldn't even have (and probably wouldn't want to use) - along with simple ease of use (the little spray dude is a lot easier to handle than a keg)...

Cheers!

I used mine for the first time yesterday. I have a two tap kegerator and this hand pump saved time moving kegs with cleaner inside and out, again with rinsing water, and again with Star San. Saved CO2 by not needing to charge the kegs each time. Again...brilliant!

Thanks again for posting. If you have a blog or site where you post your ideas like this please let us know!

Tried mine yesterday...worked like a charm!!

Not sure if my liquid post is different, but I had to use different brass fittings...

Using the same sprayer as the OP:

3/8" FIP to 1/4" FIP (home depot part A-765)

1/4" MIP brass nipple (part A-740)

geniz = genius

this worked great, I love how easy it will be to clean all 4 of my taps. I just finished my keezer project, so this is a perfect compliment to keep those lines clean.

Thanks!
justin

On the seem where the words Flow-master are mine developed a pin hole leak. Took it back to home dept with out receipt and it was exchanged no questions asked

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

I used mine again tonite after pulling a kicked keg of a favorite IPA (sigh...even with five other brews on tap, a keg kick is always a sad event) and for the first time noticed the trigger lock! Doh!

Very handy for those of us who reinstalled the white rubber gasket thingy to enable the (entirely redundant) trigger in the first place. Pump up the cleaner, hook up the beer line, pull the trigger, latch the lock, then run the faucet. Cool beans!

Stuffed in a fresh keg of a different IPA recipe, already gassed up. Tasty! I'm happy again!

Cheers!

Ressurecting this. Built this setup using the same liquid connection as the OP, and oops poppet work right and stays in the open position when removing the balllock connection spilling liquid everywhere. Anyone else have this problem?

geepmaley said:
Ressurecting this. Built this setup using the same liquid connection as the OP, and oops poppet work right and stays in the open position when removing the balllock connection spilling liquid everywhere. Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you have a bad spring

Sounds like you have a bad spring

Brand "new" post from Kegconnection. Tried two different ones. Both do the same thing. I think the poppets are too short, not makign contact with teh flare fitting. Just saw the posts about adding orings or washers to add some depth, so going to try that tomorrow

geepmaley said:
Brand "new" post from Kegconnection. Tried two different ones. Both do the same thing. I think the poppets are too short, not makign contact with teh flare fitting. Just saw the posts about adding orings or washers to add some depth, so going to try that tomorrow

Cool. Please post your results

Is the Flo-Master Model 56HD still available in Homedepot in the US ? North of the border, they may list it in their inventory, but it's stored for the winter season (on the top of the shelves where you need a lift to read the labels) and they can't find it when you ask them.

Is the Flo-Master Model 56HD still available in Homedepot in the US ? North of the border, they may list it in their inventory, but it's stored for the winter season (on the top of the shelves where you need a lift to read the labels) and they can't find it when you ask them.

as of 2 weeks ago they were on the shelf with in reach

-=Jason=-

Thanks for the idea on this. I just ordered the sprayer and the 3/8 flare to 3/8 MIP adapter on HD's website for in-store pickup.

I have built the original but just wanted to let others know I found a similar sprayer at Petsmart. It has the same threaded nozzle that could be modified to have the keg fitting. I think the only difference was the pump mechanism. It was in the reptile supply area in ther store. I think the price was $9.99.

ForumRunner_20111213_075644.jpg

Back