Diving head first into kegging... what else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Ok, so, I've finally decided on kegging and I'll be placing an order with Keg Connection soon for their 1 keg basic kit... I'll get the ball lock keg, 5# tank, dual gauge regulator, gas line, beer line w/ cobra tap, new set of o rings and quick disconnects. I'll be brewing around Thanksgiving, and my basement fridge is waiting for a keg...

I've done a bunch of research, watched a ton of videos and I've read even more posts, but in my experience with these DIY hobbys (brewing, bulding PCs, home theaters, etc...) I always end up needed SOMETHING extra. To be a successful kegger, what else do I need?

I know I'll need some food grade lubricant, I've already got a socket wrench for the liquid and gas posts, I'm sure Ill need a screw driver and an adjustable wrench (again, I've already got both)... am I missing anything besides the normal brewing cleansers and sanitizers?

Thanks!

Probably just lowered expectations.

Kegging is the best step you can take, and you'll never look back, but be prepared for some tweaking (hopefully not too much frustration) to get your system to work right.

Good luck.

What you need is
A. Beer to fill these new vessels with
B. A NEW hobby to occupy the time that you will now save come racking time
C. Friends to SHARE this newly packaged beverage with
D. A keezer or kegerator to house your newly kegged beer

In other words, if you are going the keg route the kit that you are looking at has what you need to get a good start. I would suggest getting MORE KEGS NOW as you can be conditioning a beer while another is being served :)
Welcome to the addiction!
-Me

You are pretty much coverred. Here are some incidentals.

Teflon tape for the gas fittings onto the bottle.

A solution of bubbly water to check for leaks. (Can use starsan or dishwashing liquid)

The socket wrench will have to be deep socket for the gas posts, and an open ended wrench may work better than a socket.

Other than that, welcome to the world of kegging. :mug:

I'd say one more keg at least. Like said above, don't get all pissed off when something doesn't quite work right. It probably took me 3 or 4 kegs worth of beer to get my system dialed in.

I have a 2 keg 2 tap tower system with a 5 lb co2 tank.

Here are some of the problems I encountered when I first started kegging:

1) Leaks from lid gaskets on all three of my kegs. (Fixed by ALWAYS using a lot of keg lube.)
2) Massive amounts of foam coming out of my taps even with 10 ft lines. (Fixed by insulating tower/lines better)
3) Enjoying amazing pub style pints at home. (I doubt you'll have a problem fixing this one.)

Also, I doubt you'll have problems with the foam tower problems since you're going to be using pic-nic taps.

Don't stress just be patient,
J

Ok, got my kegging outfit today and of course, I'm thinking that I should have ordered a second keg, but I'm good to go!

So of course, I'm celebrating by watchng the Wings game and brewing! My Dry Stout mash will be complete in about 10 minutes and my sparge water is nearly to 180. Woohoo!

I like having multiple kegs. I can have 3 on tap (provided they are filled) at a time, and one to spare for something being bulk aged.

One thing I have found is my beer actually lasts longer now that I keg. (Cause Im not giving so darned much away!)
-Me

I like having multiple kegs. I can have 3 on tap (provided they are filled) at a time, and one to spare for something being bulk aged.

One thing I have found is my beer actually lasts longer now that I keg. (Cause Im not giving so darned much away!)
-Me

I think your right about the giving away thing. I would often make ten gallon batches and give a case away to a friend or family member. Now if they want to drink, they must come over to do so! That makes me brew last a bit longer. Sometimes I'm tired of the beer I've got on tap and I'm ready to switch it out.

Back