Disposable O2 Tank Regulator modded for Flowmeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yavid

Reaction score
A few months ago I purchase an oxygen regulator for disposable O2 tanks from B3. I wanted to connect the regulator to a flowmeter that I purchased off eBay. The new regulators from B3 don't have the threaded barb fitting that was used on previous regulators so I had to modify the regulator slightly.

I removed the barb from the regulator with a pair of vice grips. The barb is pressed in but comes out fairly easily with a bit of twisting. Once removed I was able to drill and tap the regulator for a 1/8" npt fitting (actually I had a friend do it). A quick trip to Home Depot for a 1/8" npt x 4" long brass nipple and I was able to connect the two together.

Just thought I'd share this quick idea for others who may want to add a flow meter to their disposable O2 tank regulators.

For those who are curious: the O2 regulator reads from 0 - 1.0 liter/minute in 0.1 liter/minute increments. After putting everything together it works perfectly.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

Dude this looks awesome! I'm a little late on this reponse but hows it working out 7 years later? I'm just looking into using pure O2 and love this idea!

It's been 7 years? Wow.

Still works great. No issues with it. Admittedly its prob a bit of overkill though. I just like building stuff.

I don't think a flow meter on an O2 rig is overkill at all if one desires end-to-end process consistency.
And modding up your own on an inexpensive regulator makes it that much cooler :)

Nicely done :mug:

Well thanks. If either of you decide to do this mod I suggest trying to keep brass bits out of the orifice on the regulator when you're drilling and tapping. One idea is using petroleum jelly to plug the hole. It'll keep the shavings from going into the orifice and should be pretty easy to clean out later with a bit of solvent.

Back