Dispensing water from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclockworkblue

Reaction score
Hello,

Strange question but I am looking for any advice on how to dispense water from my keg. I tried to put fresh spring water and dispense it from my keezer but even on 1-3 psi it produces carbonation and that c02 taste. So I'm looking for some plumbing knowledge, if I was to connect my cold water line to a keg in, fill the keg, and use the water pressure to push the water out of the tap, would this work in theory? would it be too much pressure? I read that water pressure in a house is between 50-70psi so I imagine it would be okay. (yes, I know I should prob. have beer on that tap but I have quite a few taps and I can give up one for water)

I would think that yes, it could work. It would be no different than running a cold water line through the refrigerator, for water and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Might think about a pressure reducer if hooking keg and faucet to a domestic water supply. Plus, I imagine in some locales an anti-siphon valve might be required (if meeting code requirements is envisioned).

Otoh, one could use straight nitro to push...

Cheers!

get the water a little colder?

Why not bend the line into a copper coil? You'd probably want to reduce the pressure a bit though from city pressure.

Hmmm... on second thought, you'd still probably want some sort of container to chill more.

Maybe you can find a dead water cooler on CL that you can cannibalize...

I do have the extra keg I could use. Anyone see any issue with the keg being completely filled with no head space under pressure.

I was talking with a plumber friend and he said that if the town has water towers (which my town does) it should be more like 30psi of water pressure. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It will work, but you will need to reduce the "city water pressure" to something more "tap manageable", say 10-12 PSI, a pressure most beers are served at.

Plumb it to your keg, and plumb it to your tap.

Keep the pressure low, and you'll be fine.

30psi should be fine, he's not dispensing a carbonated beverage, and if the pour rate is too fast he could lengthen the beverage line to compensate - which would likely be cheaper than a pressure reducer.

Otoh, if that 30 psi isn't pretty much definite, I'd go with the pressure reducer just out of gps, if only to avoid the potential for water hammering...

Cheers!

Back