Disastrous newbie siphoning session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tell ya what....

I talk to her about it and see if I can convince her it's all in the name of educating beginners on siphoning, whist also giving the pros something to enjoy.

Walker said:
that can work, but sometimes the trub is deep enough in the primary bucket that you will actually suck some out and into the secondary through the spigot.... kind of defeats the purpose.

How do you get the beer out of the carboy and back into the bottling bucket when it comes time to bottle?

-walker

I never find the trub a problem, if a small amount goes it will settle in secondary anyway. Same method out of secondary, tube on sec tap & let it go, the trub is usually solid enough not to be a problem. I have a conical for normal use, but sometimes revert to primary & secondary if pushed.

Gloworm said:
Same method out of secondary, tube on sec tap & let it go, the trub is usually solid enough not to be a problem.

Ahhh.. you've got a tap on your carboy, too... I see.

Nice.

-walker

BTW: It's not a matter of the trub settling in the secondary. It's a matter of HAVING trub IN the secondary at all.

If you have big beers with lots of complex flavors, you want to let it age for a while in the secondary. Having trub in there gives the potential for autolysis (sp?) and buttery beer.

I strive to have no trub in my secondary at all. It doesn't always work for me, but I come pretty close most of the time.

-walker

agreed. small amounts are no big deal.

If I were going to let one age for more than 6 weeks after primary fermentation, I would probably go so far as to rack to a tertiary fermenter to be sure I didn't have any trub.

But, 6 weeks is as long as I have let anything sit in a secondary, so I've not actualy done this before.

cheers,
-walker

Someone's had too much homebrew.

Here's my story... My first batch I was so anal about sanitation, but I couldn't get my siphon going right. So without a second thought I sunk my hairy arms in the bucket to fill the hose - then I realized, "You idiot! How sanitary are your sweaty arms after boiling the wort for an hour!?"

Moral of the story: Get the autosiphon. :mad:

After all this discussion, I seem to have forgotten how to siphon and need to be reminded how by a 28-year-old Italian wife of a homebrewer in buttery altered overalls. Do we have to beg? Pleeeeeease ? :(

gibfried said:
Here's my story... My first batch I was so anal about sanitation, but I couldn't get my siphon going right. So without a second thought I sunk my hairy arms in the bucket to fill the hose - then I realized, "You idiot! How sanitary are your sweaty arms after boiling the wort for an hour!?"
Sounds like my first batch, only I had the presence of mind to soak my hairy arms (all the way up to the pits) in iodophor before I started. :D

El Pistolero said:
Sounds like my first batch, only I had the presence of mind to soak my hairy arms (all the way up to the pits) in iodophor before I started. :D

We probably shouldn't mention the hairy arm thing if we share a few bottles!

Back