Disaster strikes - entire batch on the floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
So, after filling and mixing a batch of cherry melomel I lifted my new gallon carboy from the counter and the bottom literally fell off. Was left with an empty jug in hand and a sticky mess all over the kitchen.

The carboy was obviously defective. So pissed - local honey is not cheap.

View attachment 1506541424367.jpg

That's terrible and I truly sympathize with you.

I worry about this happening some day with one of my 6 gallon batches of beer. Particularly now that I'm retired and progressively getting more old and weak.

what sort of "carboy" was this? got a pic? having trouble imagining what kind of vessel would fail like that....

My glass is stored safely in my storage area for this very reason!

Sorry for your loss! Good thing you didn't get hurt.

I have a beautiful 7.5 gallon heavy glass carboy that I've used maybe twice, for this specific reason. I've got three plastic fermenter buckets that I've taken great care of that I will use as long as I can (the carboy was free from a friend, since i brew a lot of beers that need dry hopping it's really not something I would use much anyway). Enough things can go wrong with a brew day without throwing a possible ER visit into the mix.

So sad! :weep:

Hot liquids can cause stress in glass.
I wonder how thin that glass was, especially around the area that sheared off.

Glad you didn't get injured!

So sad! :weep:

Hot liquids can cause stress in glass.
I wonder how thin that glass was, especially around the area that sheared off.

Glad you didn't get injured!

It's a basic 1 gallon glass carboy that would certainly be susceptible to changes in heat. However, the liquid (honey, water, cherries) was room temp so it wasn't a heat related issue. It literally just sheared off at the bottom.

what sort of "carboy" was this? got a pic? having trouble imagining what kind of vessel would fail like that....

Here is a link to the carboy on amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0064O8Z76?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-s1060-win70-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4

51bqV7wAu5L._SL1251_.jpg

It's a basic 1 gallon glass carboy that would certainly be susceptible to changes in heat. However, the liquid (honey, water, cherries) was room temp so it wasn't a heat related issue. It literally just sheared off at the bottom.

Wow, that's extra freaky!

Did you have a chance to look at that sheared off junction? It may have given you clues, like a bubble, a grain of sand, or extreme thinness.

I guess these are China imports, with no QC whatsoever. :tank:

Like most of us we all have a few of those jugs. Mine are much, much older, 8 years or so, from my LHBS.

I do shake them up vigorously at times to make foamy yeast starters. Or just to clean them with PBW and warm (not hot) water. Luckily no incidents with those so far.

barely understand how this could have happened?? you could probably get some money for lost honey as that is totally bizarre, like a cars 4 wheels just falling off while driving

Back