disappointing aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
I am little disappointed. I just racked to secondary with my first wheat (trying to do what someone touted as a Blue Moon clone, one of my favorites) and I have to admit, I hated the smell. I realize it has a month or two to age, but it smelled a lot like a couple of beers I've had that I didn't really like. Anyway, I guess if it keeps that way, I'll chock it up to a brew sized lesson and not do that recipe again. *Sigh*, at least there's always brown ale.....

I can't describe it. Earthy maybe. Not what I remember a wheat being like. I think I was trying for a particular KIND of wheat beer. Hefeweizen this ain't Maybe that's it.
It does smell like a beer I've had before, but I cannot remember the name. Weihenstephen, or something like that. I am not sure. I am not saying I won't be able to choke it down. If I could choke the fruity crap :ban: that my first batch was, this will be no problem. Maybe I'll just have to try it with Orange slices or something. Plus, it IS only a week old. Probably just a good dose of paranoia.
Nothing like drinkable mistakes... :drunk:

Which yeast did you use? The overpowering sulfur/yeast smell should mild quite a bit with time, and generally wheat beers don't have a lot of hops in the aroma so perhaps that's what you're noticing?

I didn't even think of that. The yeast I used was a liquid yeast, I forget the name brand, but the HBS owner suggested it when I mentioned I was doing a wheat brew. It didn't need a starter or anything, just shake and add it to the cooled wort. The more I think about it, the more I think that that was probably what I smelled. It was an aroma I have smelled before, but never as strongly as this time.

To the Novice there are many possibilities to the Master there are few.

Back