DIPA vs IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In many cases the terms are used interchangeably. I think some people may define a double IPA as any super hoppy IPA. Anything with
I -(Imperial) before it indicates a higher starting gravity and higher alcohol than traditional for the style. For IPA's these are usually married as an Imperial uses the additional hop bitterness to balance the alcohol and higher body.

Zen_Brew said:
In many cases the terms are used interchangeably. I think some people may define a double IPA as any super hoppy IPA. Anything with
I -(Imperial) before it indicates a higher starting gravity and higher alcohol than traditional for the style. For IPA's these are usually married as an Imperial uses the additional hop bitterness to balance the alcohol and higher body.

I agree here. The brewery at Avery described it this way wen talking about Maharaja.

Probably this...but more likely hangovers :tank:

If you really want to be anal-retentive about it, it may or may not depend on abv%, malt presence, residual sweetness/body, hop bitterness, overall hop showcase/dominance, etc.

Here are some examples if I was going to be super techinical:

Single IPA = Stone IPA
Extra IPA = Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Double IPA = Pliny the Elder
Imperial IPA = Maharaja

and then you have ridiculous = 120 Minute

I guess I tend to brew Extra IPAs that hover around 7.0-7.5% abv, with fairly low to moderately low malt presence and body, low residual sweetness, smooth yet dominant bitterness, and a ton of aroma/flavor.

for all intensive purposes they are the same thing though as others have stated above there may or may not be some factors that could play a role as well.

If you really want to be anal-retentive about it, it may or may not depend on abv%, malt presence, residual sweetness/body, hop bitterness, overall hop showcase/dominance, etc.

Here are some examples if I was going to be super techinical:

Single IPA = Stone IPA
Extra IPA = Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Double IPA = Pliny the Elder
Imperial IPA = Maharaja

and then you have ridiculous = 120 Minute

I guess I tend to brew Extra IPAs that hover around 7.0-7.5% abv, with fairly low to moderately low malt presence and body, low residual sweetness, smooth yet dominant bitterness, and a ton of aroma/flavor.

Also 2xIPA = Southern Tier 2xIPA ;)

BJCP - STYLE 14C: Imperial IPA

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

(there is no "double" designation except in the marketing choices of brewers)

Hang Glider,

What would the following IPA-esque beer be categorized as according to the BJCP:

1.017 FG
6.7% abv
6 SRM
70 IBUs

Back