Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
So what's the consensus on number of inches to cut off on the dip tube? I have a very hazy NEIPA in the keg and after first tap I discovered it is clogged. I realize I should have better strained the liquid into the keg, but I didn't...not a big deal. I do want to minimize oxygen exposure in my fix and I happened to have a spare dip tube in my possession which I can cut down to a shorter length to insure I don't pick up the sludge on the bottom. I would like to swap it out quickly and just wondering how much length is ideal to cut off? I was going to go with an inch, but not sure if that is enough? Thoughts?

You might sacrifice one dip tube for this one. But, I would say keep the sediment out of the keg and you don't need to cut down one at all. I bag my hops and when I have any sludge in my kegs it comes out in the first pint or two, often in 1/2 a glass.

But then again I have never had a NEIPA that I liked so I have never brewed one.

Scratch this question. I just took off an inch from my new tube and quickly replaced the clogged one which was choke-full of hop debris. Had to also clean out the ball lock connection. Did it so fast I didn't lose any carbonation or expose it to much CO2. Ironically I think this may be the best beer I have ever created! Cheers.
FruitBomb.jpg

Cutting the dip tube can lead to other problems down the road. For instance, if you purge your kegs by filling with StarSan and pushing out, now you are leaving a ton more StarSan in the keg.

Literally did this same thing 5 minutes ago. Brewed my first NEIPA. at 1.5 pounds of hops in a 5 gallon batch (at least half of that in the fermenter), needless to say I had a lot left over. Breaking out my pipe cutter ....

When this happens to me, I vent the pressure from the keg, remove the beer out post, and put a piece of 3/8" ID silicone hose over the top of the dip tube. I then give the keg a quick shot of CO2 to push out a few ounces of beer and hop debris, clean the poppet, and reassemble. I never saw the need to cut a dip tube and I brew this style all the time.

There is NO REASON to cut your dip tubes.

All you have to do is place a couple of inches of the tube into the post hole and give it a small tug to bend it up (higher) off the bottom.

If you do this in about 3 places along the curve you can raise it 1" (or more).

The entire process takes no more than 10 seconds.

Last edited:
...don't brew NEIPA's......

I recognize that those are three words in the English language (well, a contract, a word, and an acronym), but I don't know what those three words in that order could possibly mean

*does not compute*

srsly though, I cut 1/2" off of my diptube and it worked like a charm #noregrets. I have a dozen kegs and space in my kegerator for 10 of them full of beer, and I foresee having plenty of use for this specialty dip tube, so this solution works just fine for me :)

Latest posts

Back