Dip tube screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdm5209

Reaction score
I'm building a new kettle (bayou classic SS 44 qt) with fittings from bargain fittings and Bobby M. I ordered the weldless 3-pc ss ball valve with compression fitting and diptube from Bobby. I'm wondering about a screen for the diptube. I use a mix of whole leaf hops and pellet (but mostly pellet so far). I've seen surescreen, bazooka t, and hopstopper, but I can't sort out what might work best for me. Any experience or input appreciated. Thanks as always.

I use a screen on my dip in the BK. My first word of advice is make the surface area of the screen as large as you can. The very first time I tried it, I put a small square (2" x 2") on the very end of the dip tube. The hops and other break material stuck to the screen and clogged the end of the tube. It was a nightmare. Now, I have about 4" of a bazooka tube that I have clamped about 2" up the dip tube. I'll post a picture tomorrow night.

Thanks for the responses.
Schumed, I did start using 1 gal paint strainers as hop bags (not quite the same as a spider, I know, but similar theory) on the last batch. This helped immensely, but still left a little behind. So I'm wondering if that little will clog the diptube.

Cl, thanks for the advice. Bazooka tubes seem like they could work. Pictures would be great. You don't find the tube collapsing under the weight of the wort?

The tube is made of stainless steel, it's quite strong. I'll send a picture when I have some time. The screen is also made of stainless, this is also quite sturdy. I have never even come close the the screen collapsing. It takes some force to even flatten it by hand.

Back