Dip Tube Paranoia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPA_on_tap

Reaction score
I just got done assembling my first keggle boil kettle and decided to give it a dry run, and filled it with water, and opened my ball valve which terminates via a weld-less bulk head to a dip tube. The flow started out strong, but as the water level dropped to the bulkhead fitting, my flow started to drop, (no biggey). However when the water level dropped about half way down the bulk head fitting, the the flow stopped. I didn't have any hose on the front of the ball valve, so is my vacuum/siphon too week and will it improve if I put hose on the front, or is this a sign of an air leak in my fittings ? Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing and if I should just relax and wait for my tubing to come in...

P.S no signs of leaks around the bulk head..

Thanks..

Unless you have a hose to pull a siphon the water flow will stop at when the level in the kettle is the same as the valve on the dip tube. Put a length of tubing on the valve long enough to reach below the bottom of the kettle and it should pull all the way to the bottom of the dip tube.

Back