Digitally track your fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I monitor CO2 output with a mass flow meter I got for cheap off of Ebay. I added in a calculation that predicts SG also. I think it's a great snapshot of the fermentation. The sugar decrease, alcohol production, and CO2 production go hand in hand, after all. As you watch the graph develop, isn't kind of easy to tell how the fermentation is progressing? Note also the area under the graph represents the total volume of CO2 produced, a direct function of the sugar available.

How are you measuring the SG on that chart?

I am training my dog to count bubbles and bark them out on command. It works great until the mailman shows up.

I tried that. It inflated enough to stand up, but didn't expand the way I had hoped it would. Give it a try yourself and see if your experience is different.

You REALLY need to have read some of the thread before you get to this post. Really.

I am training my dog to count bubbles and bark them out on command. It works great until the mailman shows up.

While that idea sounds good, I don't have a dog and my cat won't cooperate. (But he does come running to my whistle.)

So, instead I decided to build one of these to measure relative density (of which Specific Gravity is an example of): Radiation-based Gauge: Radiation is passed from a source, through the fluid of interest, and into a scintillation detector, or counter. As the fluid density increases, the detected radiation "counts" will decrease. The source is typically the radioactive isotope cesium-137, with a half-life of about 30 years.

Does anyone want to volunteer to test the device for me? :mug:

To quote Styx "too much time on my hands"

I'm working on a counter that measures the number of grains as they pass through through the barley crusher.

This will tell how many grains I use per batch which will help me..............uh..uhh.uhh

I'll figure out how it will help me later.;)

Obviously you'll be able to determine how barley kernel size (kernels per lb) relates to bubble counts. :D

I'm short on time, but here's a pic of the mass flow meter that I got off Ebay. There's no airlock; the CO2 just flows through the meter. It puts out 0 to 5 volts, which converts to 0 to 300 cc/min, with this meter. I use a data acquisition starter kit and software from Dataq Instruments (dataq.com). That was only about 40 bucks.

It's a hoot the way the CO2 haters loathe us!

Mass flow meter 2.jpg

I'm short on time, but here's a pic of the mass flow meter that I got off Ebay. There's no airlock; the CO2 just flows through the meter. It puts out 0 to 5 volts, which converts to 0 to 300 cc/min, with this meter. I use a data acquisition starter kit and software from Dataq Instruments (dataq.com). That was only about 40 bucks.

It's a hoot the way the CO2 haters loathe us!

I have carbon credits for sale.

Back