Digital Milligram Scale for Water Treatment Purposes- $16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I've graduated from using spoon measures to actually measuring my water additions. I'm using this particular scale which is actually quite incredible. If I would have known these were so cheap, I'd have been into water treatment long ago.
scale.jpg

This is one of those products with a hundred different brands on them, but the one I got was a "Homgeek," very appropriate. I found spoon measures to be way off for some minerals, these should be best done by weight. Also, the scale is working great to weigh dried Kveik. The small tray that comes with it is just right for the quantities we are weighing for 5 gallon batches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is one of those products with a hundred different brands on them, but the one I got was a "Homgeek," very appropriate. I found spoon measures to be way off for some minerals, these should be best done by weight. Also, the scale is working great to weigh dried Kveik. The small tray that comes with it is just right for the quantities we are weighing for 5 gallon batches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! I had been looking for one- I assume you are happy with this one and it close to accurate! Since I have been using one with 0.1g, even if this is only 0.01 accurate, it is worth it!

Yes, thanks! For years I've been using a scale with only 0.05g resolution I paid a lot more for from Grainger. This looks worth a try.

I just bought this off Amazon. I had been using my hop scale which is not accurate enough. Thanks for posting!

The linked scale has free returns if for some reason it does not meet expectations. It can be calibrated with the weight that comes with it. I don't have NIST traceable weights to determine how accurate it is, but the repeatability is plain uncanny. I weighed a .404 g paper clip three times with it coming back exactly the same each time. Turned off and on and repeated several times, .404 g every time. The instructions say 100g capacity which is 3.5 ounces. Should be plenty good for our purposes.

I just received mine, and calibrated and tried it out. I'm pleased, seems like it is worthy of the recommendation. Resolution is indeed 0.001g, tare function works perfectly, 50g capacity, all as advertised. A definite upgrade from my old scale and at a bargain price. Thanks again, @smata67.

I just received mine, and calibrated and tried it out. I'm pleased, seems like it is worthy of the recommendation. Resolution is indeed 0.001g, tare function works perfectly, 50g capacity, all as advertised. A definite upgrade from my old scale and at a bargain price. Thanks again, @smata67.
Yeah, +1 to this! Got mine SAME DAY from Amazon. Wow. Love the size for sure. Thanks @smata67

I'll be the party pooper here :(
I bought that one a few years ago, and while it worked great for a few months, it started measuring the calibration weight wrong later.
Although it was supposed (the one I bought) to be able to handle 100g, it actually reported errors at above 50g. So when I had to weight my 2 oz hop drops in 2 sets of 1 :)

At the end I measured the same thing twice and it would differ by about 5 grams, so I bought another scale. This one is is 1/10 as precise (0.01 gram instead of 0.001) but have worked well so far. It has been consistent and it seems less fragile. (The small plate came off on my scale, maybe by putting it back I screwed it myself?)

Anyway, I recommend this one, which is $13 as of now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E6RE3A0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And no, I don't have anything to do with either of the scale sellers or manufacturers or whatever.
But if you menton code fofusak on your purchase! Ok, bad joke.

I haven't toyed with water chemistry, maybe you do need the 0.001 gram accuracy? But I wanted to share my experience :)
Cheers!

I'll be the party pooper here :(
I boug

ht that one a few years ago, and while it worked great for a few months, it started measuring the calibration weight wrong later.
Although it was supposed (the one I bought) to be able to handle 100g, it actually reported errors at above 50g. So when I had to weight my 2 oz hop drops in 2 sets of 1 :)

At the end I measured the same thing twice and it would differ by about 5 grams, so I bought another scale. This one is is 1/10 as precise (0.01 gram instead of 0.001) but have worked well so far. It has been consistent and it seems less fragile. (The small plate came off on my scale, maybe by putting it back I screwed it myself?)

Anyway, I recommend this one, which is $13 as of now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E6RE3A0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And no, I don't have anything to do with either of the scale sellers or manufacturers or whatever.
But if you menton code fofusak on your purchase! Ok, bad joke.

I haven't toyed with water chemistry, maybe you do need the 0.001 gram accuracy? But I wanted to share my experience :)
Cheers!

Wait wait wait... why is that scake made by fofusak industrues llc??!!??

All good no pooping here man. I am hoping to get within 0.1g accuracy, so i figure a $15 scale that says it can go to 0.001g will be fine.

Also, where were all the cheap scales waaayyyy back in the day when i was 20?? I member a digi was like $50 if you were lucky!! Lol

You guys must be young pups because "back in the day," a scale like this we called a balance and cost a couple grand. The smallest amount of minerals I've had to weigh thus far has been .3g so .01g accuracy should be plenty fine. I'd bet all these scales have the same chip in them anyway. Luck of the draw if it works properly for 10 years or 10 days. Good thing is, if it craps out, you will almost certainly be able to buy another one for even less. Interesting times, these.

Wait wait wait... why is that scake made by fofusak industrues llc??!!??

All good no pooping here man. I am hoping to get within 0.1g accuracy, so i figure a $15 scale that says it can go to 0.001g will be fine.

Also, where were all the cheap scales waaayyyy back in the day when i was 20?? I member a digi was like $50 if you were lucky!! Lol
Oh no! I told the idiots to use the other company's name "kasufof".
I guess: "If you want something done right, do it yourself" :smh:

Back