Different Yeast - WOW - different beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwsiegfried

Reaction score
So I brewed up a Pumpkin beer a couple of weeks ago (8/31) and I separated it in half so that I could use WLP008 (East Coast Ale Yeast - left) and WLP568 (Belgian Saison Yeast Blend - right).
This shows them side by side
20140918_184944.jpg

This was based on a recipe from Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2013 (Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale and Saison D'Potiron).
I've let the fermenters sit now for this time and thought I would share the pics and hopefully receive some insight as to why they look so much different and what is on top of the WLP008 one.

And here's the top of the East Coast Ale yeast
20140918_185039.jpg

Is this an infection? I have never had an infection (only 15 batches so far) so I'm slightly confused at how much different this turned out.
Both have reached FG of about 1.012. - Estimated FG was 1.014. It's exceptionally hard to read given the amount of clearing that still needs to happen.

No, your beer looks fine. If you hit your FG, bottle/keg it and enjoy your brews.

As for the color it looks like one batch may have been on the burner a bit longer then the other. Did you fill the carboys at the same time?

Sent from the window of an airplane...

Yeah, it was one batch that I separated when I racked from kettle.
I'm glad you don't think it's an infection.
GW

Nope, not an infection.

Loved James Michener's book Centennial BTW. Read that about a 100 years ago, but still remember it pretty clearly. Reading his entire catalog is on my bucket list. I better get started.

That's a great example of how different yeasts can act differently. I'd love to see how it looks when/if you cold crash both. Thanks for sharing.

Using different yeasts has always been a priority for me. I never understood the use of a "house strain" for many different beers. Yeast is beer character and diversity is what I like so much about beer and brewing.

Using different yeasts has always been a priority for me. I never understood the use of a "house strain" for many different beers. Yeast is beer character and diversity is what I like so much about beer and brewing.

Its just a work horse strain. Probably also to keep the cost down when you can keep using the same strain for several generations.

Back