Different wort chilling technique question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I just built a keggle and now I need to figure out how to cool 10 gal of wort. I don't have the funds for a wort chiller but I do have about 15ft of hi-temp tubing. I was thinking about freezing a bunch of large blocks of ice the night before and then filling an ice chest with the ice blocks, water and maybe a little salt to help with the heat transfer. And then connecting the tubing to the ball valve, running it thru the ice chest and then into fermenter, this way all of the wort will slowly pass thru the ice water and hopefully be at pitch ready temp when it comes out the other end. I figure i can control the flow with the valve and slow it down if I need to. Has anyone ever tried this? And does anyone have any ideas on why this might be a bad idea?

It might take an eternity but it will work, you won't get very efficient transfer from that tubing or from that length.

On the plus side you should have pretty could control over the final temp and you will have plenty of opportunities to check it. :)

Latest posts

Back