Different connectors?! Arrggg....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSpectre

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am finishing up my basement remodel and adding a few taps to my wetbar. I know I am going to use whatever kegs I can find. Ball lock seem the easiest.

My cousin asked me to brew a few kegs for they're wedding in August. No problems there, except the taps at the venue are "standard" or "Commercial." I have no idea really what that means, except that its likely a different connector. Is there any way to go from Ball lock to the connector that the bars use? I tried Googling, but to no avail, likely because I don't know if they really are different, or if they are, what the "commercial" style is called. I'd hate to buy a few kegs and never use them again after...

Thanks!

Should be a Sanke coupler. I've seen lots of Sanke to ball-lock adapters, meaning so you can pour a Sanke keg on a ball-lock setup, but I don't recall seeing any ball-lock to Sanke adapters so that you can pour a ball-lock keg on a Sanke setup...maybe someone else does? If all else fails, you could try to get your hands on a 1/6 barrel Sanke keg. They're a hair over 5 gallons.

I had a similar situation, where I needed to hook my ball lock kegs up to a kegerator that was set up for Sanke couplers.
I just cut their lines and inserted some adapters. I cut each gas line and each beer line. Then I attached a hose barb to female flare fitting to both ends of each line I cut. The female flare fittings hooked up to my ball lock kegs.
When I was done with the event, I used male flare to male flare fittings to splice all the hoses I cut. Good as new.
I did receive permission before I cut their lines.

For a not so cheap solution, I think this kit lets one modify the beer and gas lines to a Sanke-D system tap to be able to switch between Sanke and ball lock kegs...

71-HpB%2BTg1L._SL1500_.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your original post makes me think you don't have any kega yet You could just start your homebrew with Sanke kegs in the first place. No adapters needed. Plus in a pinch at one you can always grab a local brewery keg and hook it up

This will fit the same size thread as the fitting at the end of a beer line to 3/16" hose nipple. A short piece of line to your gas QD, 5 feet of 3/16 beer line to control the flow ( most kegerators come with only 5 feet of line ) and you should be good to go.

PapaO

Since your original post makes me think you don't have any kega yet You could just start your homebrew with Sanke kegs in the first place. No adapters needed. Plus in a pinch at one you can always grab a local brewery keg and hook it up

The more I look, the more I think the Sanke connectors are the ones I want. I just need to find a setup for those. I'm pretty new to the kegging side of things, but theres a class at Northern Brewer I'm taking on Saturday. Hopefully that'll help me understand more of what I need. Basement is almost done so I have to get brewing and fill those kegs!

Back