Differences in malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNP

Reaction score
Seems like every store has their own extracts. Are they all similar? Specifically, I found a recipe that calls for Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup. I'm making a blonde ale. Will another light extract be just the same? Like Briess Golden Light?

That depends - but you should be able to get close. It's much more important if you are trying to clone a commercial beer. For example, if you were looking for an exact copy of Fullers ESB, you'd want to get your specialty malts from the same maltster and use a British Marris Otter LME. If you're making a recipe that looks good and it requires a generic extract, you're probably fine. Most of those store brand extracts are made by the same set of maltsters, purchased in bulk, and then sold to order.

All malt extracts can be broken down into a handful of categories:

Pilsen/Extra Light
Light/Golden Light
Amber/Sparkling Amber
Dark/Traditional Dark
Extra Dark

Extract is a very limited business. Most if not all "store" brands are coming from either Briess or Munton's, and all fall into the above categories

I would add to the list wheat extract (typically something like 60/40 wheat to pale), munich extract (briess is 50/50 pale and munich) and rye extract, which I've only ever seen through Northernbrewer and is 70/20 pale to rye malt with some crystal to make up the rest.

Back