Difference between boiling hops for 60 min vs 90 min?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
What is the difference between boiling the bittering hops for 60 mins vs 90 mins? Is the only difference that the 90 min boil will extract from IBU from the hops? If that's the case, would it be equivalent to boil slightly more hops for just 60 mins? I have quite a few hops and wouldn't mind using more if it meant reducing the boil time.

Thanks.

Just add more hops for the 60 minute boil. Unless you are using pilsner malt, it's HIGHLY recommended that you do a 90 minute boil to rid the wort of dms.

Just add more hops for the 60 minute boil. Unless you are using pilsner malt, it's HIGHLY recommended that you do a 90 minute boil to rid the wort of dms.

Do you have more info on ridding the wort of DMS? I usually add most of my LME with 10-15mins left. It's mostly pilsen LME, but occasionally it will be wheat or amber LME.

Boiling for 30 more minutes does more than raise bitterness. Recall boiloff and maillard darkening.

The recipe I was looking at says to boil the bittering hops 90 mins, but then add the extract at 60 mins. So there is 30 minutes there where only hops are being boiled.

Do you have more info on ridding the wort of DMS? I usually add most of my LME with 10-15mins left. It's mostly pilsen LME, but occasionally it will be wheat or amber LME.

You're fine with extract. It's been boiled enough to remove dms.

Boiling longer increases the IBU's as mentioned, but really most of the bittering is extracted at 60 min. If you play with the numbers in software changing the average 60 min addition to 90 min typically adds about 1-2 IBU's. I can't see a reason to boil an extract brew for 90 min.

Back