Difference between biscuit malt and munich malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
All,

I would like to know the difference between biscuit and Munich malt. Has anyone used both of them together in a batch? I was building a recipe that calls for 1.1lb of biscuit and .5 Munich.

Thanks!

All,

I would like to know the difference between biscuit and Munich malt. Has anyone used both of them together in a batch? I was building a recipe that calls for 1.1lb of biscuit and .5 Munich.

Thanks!

Biscuit malt is a specialty malt, and is used in small quantities. It provides a drying "biscuit"y flavor in beers. Munich malt is a German base malt, and gives deep malt flavors with a warm tone.

I have been under the impression that if you were to make your own from 2-row that you would just put the two row in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes if you want biscuit/victory or 30 minutes for Munich. But there is a difference as I read somewhere that malliard reactions occur at about 20-25 minutes at that temp.

Yooper said:
Biscuit malt is a specialty malt, and is used in small quantities. It provides a drying "biscuit"y flavor in beers. Munich malt is a German base malt, and gives deep malt flavors with a warm tone.
so in that case, I should not use a whole lot as I suggested? I'm basically looking for more of a bread flavor.

so in that case, I should not use a whole lot as I suggested? I'm basically looking for more of a bread flavor.

Correct. You can use lots of Munich malt, even 100% in a beer, as it's a base malt. But biscuit malt is a "less is more" type of ingredient. A 1/2 pound is generally very noticeable in many beers in a 5 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back