didn't sanitize a new blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
My Double IPA I made the other day blew out the stopper so I rushed to the store to get a blow off tube. I attached it to my airlock and it quickly filled with foam. I forgot to sanitize the tube though. The other end is in a bucket of star san water. Could the beer get infected from what was inside the tube that I forgot to sanitize?

I wouldn't worry too much about it ... you're probably fine. Theoretically, you could get an infection, but the odds of something falling in when there's so much pushing out are minimal ...

no need to worry. you're pushing stuff out of the tube, not sucking it in. furthermore, it sounds like you have a healthy fermentation going on. alcohol levels are on the rise. alcohol = disinfectant. so even if something sunck in there, it likely wouldn't last long. it would die from the high alcohol levels.

Back