Didn't read enough about using Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodystout

Reaction score
Okay so I read about using oxyclean to clean fermenters. I had a tub at home and used about two scoops and let it sit for about 24 hrs. Then rinsed three times to make sure and get out any residue. Problem is I didn't read up enough and used the kind with the blue flecks. I now notice a weird chemical/beer smell in my fermenter. I know the lingering beer smell is okay but I am a bit worried about the chemical smell. I have a 6.5 gallon bucket btw. Is there any amount of cleaning or soaking that will get this smell out or have I ruined the bucket? Thanks in advance.

You might try leaving the bucket in direct sunlight for a day or two. Also a soak with a cup of bleach in hot water and then in the direct sunlight for drying might help. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

mrklueber said:
You might try leaving the bucket in direct sunlight for a day or two. Also a soak with a cup of bleach in hot water and then in the direct sunlight for drying might help. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Thanks. I don't have bleach that is new right now so I am soaking in plain water for now.

I would not use bleach. I'd try sticking a garden hose in it and let it flush out for 15-20 min and then dry in the sun really well.

BigFloyd said:
I would not use bleach. I'd try sticking a garden hose in it and let it flush out for 15-20 min and then dry in the sun really well.

I soaked it in regular water for about two days and dried it. Smell is all gone. Thanks guys!

Back