Didn't dilute Northern Brewer Fast Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakfri

Vegetable beef
Reaction score
I plan on brewing this Saturday and to get ready for it on Monday I made two yeast starters. I will be brewing 10 gallons and splitting between two carboys. I dumped one 16 oz can of Fast Pitch into a 2000mL container and another 16oz can into a second 2000mL container. I then split a packet of Wyeast WY2633 Octoberfest between the two. The point is I forgot to dilute with equal amounts of water as the directions laid out. I then doubled down on my mistake by adding another can(16oz) to each starter without adding water. I just realized my mistake today and added 16 Oz of water to each flask. I thought I'd add 16oz more water tomorrow to get it where it should be. My question is, if I pitch this will things turn out OK?

Well, it depends... It sounds like to me you're going to stress that yeast.

So basically in each flask, you have...
(2) 16 oz cans of Fast Pitch
16 oz of water

Correct?

If my math is correct, you roughly have 2 starters at 1.060 (which isn't AS bad as I thought when I typed my first comment...)

It will most likely be fine as it is. The yeast might be a bit stressed out a bit.

Don't add any more water at this point. The water dilution is meant to lower the gravity of the starter to 1.040 to not stress the yeast. At this point, 3 days after you pitched your yeast, they're already working and that damage is done.

It will most likely be fine. If it were my beer, I'd probably buy another pack of yeast (or 2..) for each carboy and pitch that with your starters.

What is the planned OG of your brew on Saturday?

You are correct, 2 16oz cans fast pitch and 16oz water added today, in each starter. I'm brewing a Vienna lager with a planned OG of 1.050.

I find yeast to be pretty resilient, more resilient than most academic theories would accept. Are you seeing visual signs of fermentation? I bet you make beer, especially a small beer, it will be fine.

Last edited:
Back