Didn't Cool fast enough - extra bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
So I brewed the recipe below, but it took longer than expected and I had to go to class during my wort cooling. I'd iced it, and water bath-ed for probably 30 minutes so it was down to ~120 or 130°F when I had to leave. Normally I do an open drain (in the sink) with a little water running in order to cool, but I didn't want to return to a flooded apartment so I had no choice but to shut it off and just leave it in water.

When I came back in an hour it was still 115+, hadn't really lost much heat. I restarted my normal procedure. Anyway, now a week later I did a hydro sample (1.015) and tasted it - seems pretty bitter. Is this too early to judge bitterness? Are my calculations wrong and it's just bitter because of the hop additions, or did this long cooling affect my bitterness? I only use BeerCalculus - told me 25.6IBU, which I know is off by some margin.

What other ill effects can I expect? I just wasn't expecting 25.6IBU to be real bitter, but maybe my taste buds are off (my other brew going is 27IBU and is definitely not that bitter), or is it going to mellow over the next 4 weeks? Thanks for advice.

3.15lbs Pilsen LME
1lbs Pilsen DME
3lbs Pilsener Malt (partial mash)
1/2lb Carapils
1/2lb Light Carastan

(pellets)
1oz Northern Brewer 60mins
1/2oz Tettnang 15mins
1/2oz Hallertauer Flameout
1/2oz Hallertauer Dry-Hop 2wks

3 gallon boil
Safale US-05

No the temp didn't effect the bitterness and yes it is too soon to test it. See how it is after 3 weeks.

The wort always tastes bitter in my opinion. Also, the oils in hops don't isomerize unless the water is boiling. You are adding little to no bitterness to your beer by letting it cool at a slower pace. As long as your sanitation is good you can get away with a slow cool down time. Your beer will be just fine.

It will always taste alot more bitter before its fermented. Heat will do nothing to it. remember when you tasted that you are tasting all the hops you added it. Most of which are floating around in there. This just needs to sit and age.

Anyway, now a week later I did a hydro sample (1.015) and tasted it - seems pretty bitter.
looks like he tasted it after a week of fermentation. After a week there is ALOT of yeast still in suspension. My guess is thats where your harsh bitterness is coming from.. Let it sit for a couple more weeks so the yeast can clean up after themselves and start to drop out. Things will improve.

Well, you gave me some reassurance. However, I should mention that before tasting I let the sample in the fridge for an hour to cold-settle everything (hops and yeast) so it was fairly clear during tasting. And ya, it's got 4.5+% alcohol in it already, so that should counteract the bitterness some already. I guess my main question was do the oils react below boiling to add bitterness or not, or what is the threshold temperature. Which chaydaw claims is above 212F. I guess only time will tell. Anyway, thanks for input.

The wort always tastes bitter in my opinion. Also, the oils in hops don't isomerize unless the water is boiling.
You are adding little to no bitterness to your beer by letting it cool at a slower pace. As long as your sanitation is good you can get away with a slow cool down time. Your beer will be just fine.

Interesting, I've done many BIAB "no-chill" batches, some I adjusted the hop schedule for no-chill method some I just left as is, and there is slight difference in increased bitternes in not adjusted no-chill brews. Not whole much, much more evident in flavour and aroma department but I still think its there

Thanks chaydaw - looks like it takes ~9x as long to extract/convert the oils at these temperatures, so addition of bitterness should be minimal. Thanks for the link.

Back