Didn't Add Water To Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew122

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just brewed my first beer about a week ago and I made a pretty dumb mistake in retrospect. After struggling a bit with the wort chiller (couldn't connect to any of my faucets properly) I figured out a way to get it flowing and in my excitement to finally finish brew day, I only put 4 gallons of wort into my fermenter and didn't top off with another gallon. Fast forward to this week, I just looked at my bucket and realized it was only up to the 4 gallon mark. The beer did ferment the 4 gallons but now I'm concerned about bottling day. If I follow the instructions and add the priming sugar solution will there be too much sugar and will the yeast over carb the beer? Should I just add an extra gallon of cooled boiled water to the bottling bucket with the dissolved sugar to get it up to 5 gallons and if I do that will it lower the ABV closer to the target ABV? Thanks for the help!

Use less sugar. You've just made a small batch of big beer. I think it would not be good to add any water now. This beer may take a little longer to carbonate so give it an extra week before you open a bottle.

It's supposed to be between 1.012 and 1.015. In my haste I failed to check the OG (if I did I probably would have realized I didn't have enough water) but I haven't checked the FG yet because I was going to wait another week to bottle anyway so I figured id check it Wednesday and again Saturday before bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Take the amount of suger you were going to use for the 5gl batch and divide it by 5 take that and multiply by 4 and you should be good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I was at 4.5 gallons once, and still added all the priming sugar (4.5 ounces). Not bad at all. I didn't notice it was over carbonated.

Back