Did you build or buy your lauter tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your Lauter Tun, Build or Buy?

• I purchased my lauter tun.

• I built my lauter tun.

Results are only viewable after voting.

In_Vino_Veritas

Reaction score
Simple poll, although I think those online may not be representative of population. I would have posted in the DIY section, but didn’t think that would yield an accurate answer.

Built mine. Old cooler from my shop, and pvc fittings and valve from work. cost me $0

That rocks. Wish mine cost me $0. Think with copper manifold, buying both cooler and valve, I'm $100 or so.

Not the prettiest, but now that I fly, I'm getting consistent 82% out of it

image.jpg

Not the prettiest, but now that I fly, I'm getting consistent 82% out of it

I built mine out of a cube too. Made a cpvc manifold with 3/32 inch holes drilled in the bottom. That slips into a bulkhead with a 1/2 inch ball valve on the outside. It has worked so good for the past eight years that I'm hesitant to even go through with building a new MLT out of the keg I purchased just for that purpose.

Used a 7 gal Rubbermaid & added a SS ball valve. + copper manifold given to me by a buddy. Holds temp extremely well. Easy to drain & sparge, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's mine..... A 170ltr copper how water tank that i got free as im a plumber and got it as scrap from a job lol work great and get 74% with no sparge

IMG_20140217_083005.jpg

Built mine....cheap and easy! hardest part was finding stainless steel washers that day. Now I see them all the time!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Built mine. Old cooler from my shop, and pvc fittings and valve from work. cost me $0

how has the PVC manifold worked? I have heard multiple times that PVC is not food safe at mash temps and that it will leach chemicals. Cpvc is usually the suggested alternative. Have you noticed any off-flavors?

I voted bought because I did. I bought it from a guy here who made it and it is great.

Built mine from 10 gal beverage cooler, ball valve kit, and bazooka screen. Spent around 70 bucks.

how has the PVC manifold worked? I have heard multiple times that PVC is not food safe at mash temps and that it will leach chemicals. Cpvc is usually the suggested alternative. Have you noticed any off-flavors?

works fine. I have never had a problem, it has never gotten soft, and I have never gotten off flavors from it. I like it better than the copper one I have. Copper is more likely to give off flavors, due to its reactive nature with water, especially water with high ph levels. Tends to turn green with the water in my area. Im sure everyone will argue these points, but I have been working with pvc and copper piping for 10 years. I know how they react with diff things and what stresses they can handle. The only problem i would guess you would get from pvc is if you were running boiling water threw it for long periods of time, say 10+ hours. But since i mash for 30 min to an hour, i have seen no problems. The only reason I havent used cpvc is that its not readilly available to me (aka free) so if you are going to pay for it, i suggest cpvc. the pipe and fittings are cheeper that pvc

Bought!!

20130330_072935_zps81ca22c2.jpg

Oh its the middle one.

20140312_163453_zps46fdb5ee.jpg

Just had this heat and flame resistant insulation blanket made by a friend.

Built with a cooler, ball valve, and bazooka tube.

I built mine with a HD 10G water cooler and SS fittings. Pretty easy DIY and I'm in like $75. Thinking about adding a thermometer in there but not necessary IMO.

I built my first Igloo cooler MLT with a braid (and later a copper manifold). Then I bought a Blichmann kettle and false bottom (which I love), but I did add a return line in the lid... does that count as building?

My first one, back in 1998, was a Gott cooler with a Phil's Phalse Bottom and a Phil's Sparge Arm. Melted one side of it on my 3- tier stand - too close to the HLT burner. Now I have a direct fire MLT with a false bottom from Bobby M at brewhardware.com, with a Velvet Shield welding blanket for insulation. Love it!

1397858930233.jpg

Back