Did I wash my yeast right?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
Don't know if I got all trub or some yeast, here is a pic with some home brew ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390088283.624319.jpg in short it looks like two layers... Thanks guys!!!

Seems like you didn't had good luck, but try to rinse it again.
Creamy layer may occur.

When I used to rinse yeast, this was my best bet practice:
- leave ~2 qt's of beer in carboy
- sanitize carboy neck with 70% alcohol
- pour it in sanitized jar and leave it for ~24hrs in fridge (don't screw lid on jar)
- pour off beer from top, add sanitized water and shake it well
- after 10-20 minutes pour top liquid (20-30% of total liquid) in another jar and throw the rest
- leave it in fridge

This method always gave me nice yeast layer in 2nd jar. If you want it clearer you can rinse it further.

I & others have done articles on yeast washing in the red strip at the top off the page. but using a larger jar that's been sanitized with pre boiled & cooled water works. Just let the darker trub settle to the bottom. when you just start to see a dusting of the lighter colored yeast,pour the solution into sanitized smaller jars & cap. This is the yeast with all or most of the trub settled out. I try to get about 2 quarts worth of liquid,or a little more in my half gallon jar.

When I was my yeast this is the process I take: and thanks HBT app because I wrote all this out and it crashed lol:

Get a 1/2-1 gallon jug with a lid
4x1 pint mason jars with lids
Tongs

In a large pot bring the containers and lids to a boil for 10 min.

Then with sanitizer tongs take them out of the near boiling water while filled, and put on the counter and cover with the sterilized lids.

Do the same with the jug, with about 1/2 gallon inside it.

Let them cool to about room temp.

After you rack your beer and leave the yeast cake undisturbed.

Then add all the water from the containers into the fermenter and stir vigorously.

Keep fermenter tilted to help collect the trub and let it sit for 30 min or until a good layer of trub forms.

Carefully decant the top liquid above the trub into your jug.

Let that sit again until there's a good layer of trub again.

Decant now into the pint jars trying not to disturb the trub.

Seal and label pint jars and toss them in the fridge.

These are pictures from my last wash when I did this process. Hope this helps.

Jug after first wash
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390140431.497620.jpg

Pint jars after second wash
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390140444.748294.jpg

One pint jar after 48 hours in the fridge
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390140459.816208.jpg

Back