did i screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just doing my 3rd all grain, a milk chocolate stout recipe off this website.
Now all went well in the boil and chilling, put wort in to my catalyst fermenter,(first time using) pitched yeast.

Bubbling away beautifully for 48 hours, Gravity down from 1.072 to 1.024, now here is where i may have screwed.In my infinite wisdom i decided to empty the trub bottle, did i just halt fermentation, i have been at 1.024 for the last 2 days, I have a tilt hydrometer in there that's how i know the readings, fermented around 67 degrees and using London ale yeast.

Please assure me im OK or should i pitch some dry yeast in there.

Thanks

I can't imagine that after 48 hours the yeast were done and had totally settled out. Did you lose some yeast? Probably. But if all of your yeast already dropped out fermentation was slowing down anyway. You said Milk Chocolate stout. Did you use lactose? Mash temp? With that yeast, depending on conditions, you may be close to terminal gravity. Hard to say.

hi thanks for the quick responses, yes had lactose in there.

Defiantly leaving it for another 2-3 weeks. Just wanted to see if anyone had done this with there conical s, There is a real thick trub at bottom of fermentar, when i opened the butterfly again the trub was that thick it wouldnt fall into mason jar, had to tap the sides to get it to drop.

You’re fine on yeast. You removed the heavy stuff that settles first.

What was the FG according to the recipe supposed to be?

Latest posts

Back