Did I ruin my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl1783

Reaction score
It’s my first time using wyeast. Made a starter, followed all the directions, covered it in a glass vessel. Then I got busy cleaning up and left it on the counter under the kitchen lights for two hours before I put it in a dark place. Is it still fine to brew with tomorrow? No sunlight got to it but the overhead lights are bright in my kitchen. Local store doesn’t carry this strain of yeast so I’d have to reorder online.

It’s fine. Just make sure you decant the liquid as that’s not very tasty under any circumstances.

It doesn't matter, I make starters on my kitchen table with a stir plate every time. Only thing I have to worry about is my kids turning it off early.

You should be ok to brew tomorrow. Throw it into the fridge for the night. Take it out a few hours before you brew, decant and pitch when ready.

Two things, one of which was pointed out already. For light to skunk beer it has to have hops in it because the skunkiness comes from light changing the structure of the hop oils. The second factor is that it take not just light but UV light. The UV light that causes the skunkiness is the same as what gives you a tan in the summer. In other words, it has to be fairly strong UV or for a long time. You kitchen lights don't have strong UV and what it might have would take days or weeks even to skunk beer. Your starter will be fine.

Latest posts

Back